Re: systemd-networkd-wait-online times out

On Thu, 2024-04-11 at 07:59 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> What I do see, though, is that we have both NetworkManager-wait-
> online and systemd-networkd-wait-online. Why do we need both of them?
>
> I simply disabled systemd-networkd-wait-online, and that seems to
> solve the problem. NetworkManager-wait-online does its job, now, as
> it always did. It's still enabled, as it always is. From what I could
> tell, systemd-networkd-wait-online did nothing at all, for me,
> whatsoever, except to delay other units from starting for a couple of
> minutes.

I dunno why there's two wait-online services.  I could hazard a guess
that one of them will be the new approved way to do it (everything to
be a systemd in the future, even "less" will become a systemd service),
and the other being the old way.  And while arguments ensue about the
best way to do things we get stuck with two things doing the almost the
same thing...

Looking into systemd-networkd-wait-online I see:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/latest/systemd-networkd-wait-online.service.html

Which, in part, says:

"systemd-networkd-wait-online is a oneshot system service (see
systemd.service(5)), that waits for the network to be configured. By
default, it will wait for all links it is aware of and which are
managed by systemd-networkd.service(8) to be fully configured or
failed, and for at least one link to be online. Here, online means that
the link's operational state is equal or higher than "degraded". The
threshold can be configured by --operational-state= option.

"The service systemd-networkd-wait-online.service invokes systemd-
networkd-wait-online without any options. Thus, it waits for all
managed interfaces to be configured or failed, and for at least one to
be online."

Could it be that you have some additional interfaces configured, or
half-configured, that it thinks it has to wait for?

In other parts mentioned on that link, there's options that can narrow
it down to only caring about a specific interface (such as your real
ethernet interface), specifying interfaces to ignore, and timeout
parameters.

Another thing that springs to mind, is do you have IPv6?  And if not,
is it waiting for it in vain?

Bye,
Tim.

--

NB:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list.

The following system info data is generated fresh for each post:

uname -rsvp
Linux 6.2.15-100.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu May 11 16:51:53
UTC 2023 x86_64