Re: Getting grub working on a LiveUSB

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 13:11:35 -0600
Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> only open a few nights a week.  I'm going to try using a netinstall,
> but I've never done that before, so I'd appreciate a little guidance

I use the minimal netinstall, but on optical media.  I have a dvd drive,
with lots of old empty disks, and plug it in when I want to update.  It
is very straightforward, the same as you described for f35, except it
doesn't boot into a live fedora, but into anaconda.  For F35 it will
still be hub and spoke.  There is going to be a new method, browser
based?, but I haven't tried it yet.  If you have an internet connection
on the device it will probably be picked up.  It will ask for language
and keyboard. Then you will get a menu of items that have to be
completed (the hub), and you go into each and do what is required to
complete them (the spokes), and then return to the hub. I always use
the custom hard drive configuration, creating partitions, or assigning
existing partitions to / and /boot. It allows selection of format before
install, which I usually use.  But if you are willing to accept the
default btrfs, you can just point it at an empty drive.  I keep all my
personal files on separate partitions that I symbolic link to from
home, so I don't have a separate home.  It is possible to select
additional software to install over the net, but I usually just select
the bare minimum, and do all the software wrangling once fedora itself
is running, rather than through anaconda.  That means working at a
console though, so you might want to install at least one graphical
package group so you can work from the gui when you boot up.