Re: Clearing DNS cache without rebooting

Tim:
>> However, various people have found that it also puts the kybosh
>> on normal DNS look-ups. Joe being just one.

Tom Horsley:
> Me! Before I retired, I installed loads of virtual machines to
> use for testing software on various distros. Without fail, DNS
> would simply not work until I removed the mdns nonsense from
> the lookups.

Curiosity makes me want to work out why. I'm beginning to wonder if:

 * Is mDNS is erroneously trying to resolve non .local domains when it
   can't?
 * Are people actually using .local as a top level domain?  (Where they
   should, and where they shouldn't)
 * Whether firewalls are getting in the way?

Generally, you shouldn't be entering ".local" into configuration files.
Certainly not into DNS or DHCP configurations. You should be
configuring host names, then when you want to access something
(webserver, SSH to the other PC, etc) you type hostname.local and mDNS
resolves it.

I don't make use of .local, or mDNS on my systems, but it is there on
one PC, and some printers. I notice CUPS finds those printers in
addition to the normal configuration, but they're not always usable.
Though, CUPS in itself is getting flakey. Often it'll just refuse to
print some jobs, go off and sulk.

My router has a DHCP and DNS server, but they don't talk to each other,
and there is no way to get it to resolve local domain names, so they're
useless to me. Half-arsed is how I'd describe it. You can assign static
addresses via DHCP but you can't get it to do anything with the
host/domain names. I switch off its DHCP server and ignore its DNS
server.

Likewise, I ignore my ISPs bad DNS server. It's always been terrible,
and it (obviously) can't resolve my local names.

I have a server PC running 24/7, so I use it instead. It has BIND set
up to resolve internet domain names like a real DNS server, and local
domain names, and it's paired with my DHCP server. My DHCP server doles
out fixed IPs to any device in residence here, and dynamic IPs to
visiting devices. It updates dynamic records in my DNS server, but the
static records are entered directly into the DNS server. I wish the
DHCP server would do the static ones too, it'd be useful to configure
all aspects of my LAN network in one place. I believe it can insert
such records, but can't remove them (e.g. if you renumber your device
IPs, you have to manually adjust your DNS zone file records).

And everything "just works" as expected, reliably.

I don't think I could use mDNS, even if I wanted to. There are various
devices, here, which don't know anything about it. So they'd be non-
working in no-mans land. You'd need to run mDNS and real DNS and DHCP,
or manually configuring half the things and playing with hosts files to
get everything working.

I can, however, completely ignore mDNS, and everything will work. I
dread the day I have to use some device which has decided that DNS and
DHCP are too old and only bothers to support mDNS.

-- NB: All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted. I
will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list.
The following system info data is generated fresh for each post: uname
-rsvp Linux 6.0.10-200.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Nov 26
16:53:11 UTC 2022 x86_64