Re: Clearing DNS cache without rebooting

Tim via users wrote:
>> Can you edit the "hosts:" line in the nsswitch.conf file?  See if
>> simplifying it helps?
>>
>> e.g.  hosts: files dns
>>
>> Are you able to restart the network connection?

Joe Zeff:
> Done!  After the edit, I disabled/enabled Networking.  That did it.  Not
> sure why, but I'm not complaining.  Thanx!

The /etc/nsswitch.conf file sets, amongst other things, how names will
be resolved.  With that shortened version it looks to see if you have
written the address into the /etc/hosts file, and then does a DNS query
if the hosts file doesn't provide an answer.

Previously, yours was:

hosts:  files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostname

Which first tries the hosts file, then mdns, then aborts if nothing
found (I believe, going by the comments in the rest of the file).  The
list of things in that line is illogical, to me.  Why would have have
two more things listed after an abort?  (Doing a DNS query, and I'm not
sure what the last one, "myhostname" does.)

If you do use mdns on your LAN, try putting it back in but without the
[NOTFOUND=return] parameter, and see what good that does you.

mdns is that avahi/zeroconf/autoconf that resolves the local machine
names that they self-identify as, with a .local top level domain.

e.g.  This PC's hostname is "rocky", it can announce itself as
"rocky.local", and other machines on my LAN will/may find it.

It's adhoc, and very much self-mismanaging, in my opinion.  Though it
is used for automatic discover of things like printers, media players,
network storage devices, etc, which could be useful.  But how does it
handle you having two identical models of printer on a LAN?  How would
you know which one was upstairs or downstairs, for instance, if they
all just automatically named themselves without your intervention?

Are you supposed to remember which epson printer is which without any
clues?  Are they both going to get the same name?  Will they self-
modify one of their names?  Will they always be the same ones in the
same order?  I despise things that make me play guessing games.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.80.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 8 15:48:59 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.