Re: Youtube Videos Don't Play in Fedora

On 26/11/22 05:20, Tim via users wrote:
On Wed, 2022-11-23 at 09:32 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
There's nothing confidential in the pages. The page at the below link
displays fine in Chrome and Firefox but with any of the pages linked to
from this page, none of them will display in Chrome and in Firefox
Nightly I have to click the reload button to get them to display. The
fourth page link in the last column has a youtube video embedded in the
page and a link up to youtube as well and neither video will display.
...[snip]...

https://rog.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043748
It may be worth noting that *that* page is a mass of JavaScript, rather
than normal HTML.  Scripting often isn't the most well-written code,
nor the most reliable way to do thing.  And if your browser uses any
kind of anti-scamming processing of a page (some browsers build it in,
now, you don't have to have an external plug-in), it makes it even more
likely to fail.  Many scripted pages use rather stupid techniques,
similar to the way people run exploits.

I've seen a variety of websites, in recent months, fail to load and
complain that I was using an advert blocker (I wasn't, and didn't even
have one installed).  Even going through the Firefox preferences,
switching off anything (all the protective "allows" and "disallows")
that could possibly be blocking some part of a page didn't help.
Likewise with Google Chrome.  I get the impression that any number of
so-called webmasters just bunged in some currently popular scripting
without knowing what they're doing (probably advert-insertion, or anti-
leeching scripts, convinced that it's "good practice").

If you go directly to YouTube, rather than try to watch a clip embedded
in another page, does that work any better?  I've often found that to
be the case.  That may point the finger away from Codec problems, to
other issues.
That is why I raised this issue, video's on youtube that play fine in Firefox Nightly in Windows 11, won't play in Firefox Nightly in Fedora. I have the two sets of Firefox's synced as well. Although I did have one issue in Firefox Nightly in Windows where trying to play videos on youtube would just continually refresh the page, but that issue was fixed and the next day's update.

regards,
Steve

I have to say the design of that page is awful.  You have to mouse all
over the place to see what's a link, and what's not.  You can't just
look at it.