Re: Fwd: [Undeliverable: Re: Mailing lists and Discourse]

Wolfgang Pfeiffer writes:
 > On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 12:12:21PM +1030, Tim via users wrote:

 > >You''ll notice that my messages don't come from my address, but the
 > >list server has changed them to:
 > >
 > > Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 > >
 > >And I see the same for some other people.
 > >
 > >I think this is the list's approach to re-authoring certain addresses
 > >to deal with dumb mail receivers.

This is specifically to deal with the DMARC "from alignment" problem,
which allows a domain to publish a restriction on who may use their
domain in From.  This restriction is respected by most receivers.
Mailing list break both of the authentication protocols.  This means
that if the DMARC policy of the author's domain is "reject", receivers
should refuse mail sent via mailing lists.  So mailing lists
substitute an address in their domain which they can authenticate to
receivers.

However, with respect to Wolfgang's posts, the official DMARC (RFC
7489) protocol is not involved here since gmx.net publishes a policy
of "none", which means receivers should take no action merely on the
basis of failure of From alignment.  That said, the reason Google gave
for refusing your email is based on From alignment.  I suspect they
have other reasons, my own organization (a university that has
pretensions to world-class STEM research :-( ) marked your post as
SPAM.  Sorry, I can't tell you what the rationale is, the reason
report is encoded.  I myself don't see anything spammy about any of
your posts. :-(

 > I wouldn't have a problem with the list maintainers setting up a
 > similiar procedure like in your case to deliver my emails to this
 > list - if it solves the problem: great!

I don't think there is a problem with the lists.  I suppose Fedora
lists have thousands of subscribers.  The weird thing is that you only
received a few Delivery Status Notices (DSN).  If something were
broken in the lists you'd get thousands.

I think that what is happening is that either there are a couple of
broken receiver sites that sent DSNs to you rather than the list which
should handle them, or (quite unlikely) Fedora has disabled the
Mailman default of requesting that errors be sent to Mailman which
knows how to parse several dozen styles of DSN, and if it can't sends
to the list administrator (not to the author).

The logic is that although the author sent the mail, the list chooses
the recipients, and if the mail is bad (eg, spam) the list shouldn't
send it at all, and if it's something idiosyncratic at the receiver
(typically disk full or no such user), there's nothing the author of
the post can do anyway (the list can and does disable delivery or even
unsubscribe subscribers who produce lots of DSNs).

 > So yes: this email is explicitly meant to be also read the Fedora list
 > administrators.

There are addresses specifically for that purpose.  It is very
frequently the case that list admins manage many lists they are not
subscribed to.  If you have specific requests for the list admins, use
the -owner address.

But think carefully about whether you need to do that.  It's very
likely they'll just tell you what I just told you, and there's nothing
they can do.  If you repeatedly get DSNs from the same domain, you can
send them to the list owner, and they might unsubscribe those
accounts.  But that's up to them.