Re: Re[2]: Perl is now failing for me

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 09:05:54 AM -0400, George N. White III wrote:

>   I end up spending a lot of time testing new Python versions and
> new libraries to ensure they are still working properly (new
> versions often have problems,  but they generally get fixed without
> my help)...
>
> I agree that it has become much more difficult to port a complex
> system to linux due to differences in what libraries are packed and
> in the configure options used for a given library on different
> distributions....

George,

thanks for sharing your use case, you're doing really interesting
work. All I can add is:

- while being surely more complex than what an average Linux newbie
  needs, what I do is simpler than what you do, and still I too must
  waste too much time

- thanks for confirming that there is a serious problem

- All I know is that is that it is sorely needed ONE front-end in
Linux where one can say, as it was in the golden age of .rpm and .deb,
"I need this software. I couldn't care less, and there's nothing bad
with it, of which language, build environment, packaging
format... this software came from. Just find the damn thing and
install it yourself, with any dependency, while I take a nap".

- I don't know if conda is the right theoretical answer. I just know
that until there is no awareness from developers and distro
integrators (more the former than the latter, probably) of the mess
they have put users in, and the will to fix it with conda or anything
else, nothing will change

funny historical note about conda: they "stole" (note the quotes, no
problem with that) the miniconda name from the RULE project I and
others started twenty years ago:

https://www.slideshare.net/mfioretti/rule-ld-roma2004

and also https://spazioinwind.libero.it/marco_web/RULE/installer.html (I
have a full static archive of the original RULE website, went offline
when I switched VPS, will restore it asap)

Marco
--
Help me write my NEXT MILLION WORDS for digital awareness:
https://stop.zona-m.net/2021/10/funding-2021-2022/