Re: Where is PATH stored these days ? Why isn't .bash_profile executed in F35 ?

On Jan 11, 2022, at 17:14, Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a GUI such as a desktop the situation is more complicated:
>
> - the GUI startup does not automatically run a login shell (to some
>  extend because interaction or mistakes can then easily break the GUI
>  startup).

It’s actually a lot more complicated.

On modern Fedora systems (with GNOME, at least, not sure about KDE), the graphical processes are launched by systemd —user, which is forked off from systemd, and not your login shell.

This means that no login shell is involved at all when it comes to your graphical environment. If you want to inject an environment variable into the graphical environment, you can’t put it in your shell’s dotfiles, you have to use systemctl or have it defined in your PAM stack (the one for systemd —user, not the login shell).

So, since your Konsole is a child process of the GUI, and not a login shell, it never ran .bash_profile.

<rant>

This has been a pain for me because I’m used to variables being set in the login PAM stack, such as the randomized named Kerberos CCache being available to the GUI. Whoops, can’t read my kerberized NFS homedir!  Can’t use Kerberos services in a graphical terminal!  And their answer is to break several decades of standard behavior with credential caches and just use a cache assigned to the user instead of per-session. It is even worse if you need to use something that uses PAGs like OpenAFS.

</rant>

--
Jonathan Billings