Re: NAS purchase advice

On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 at 17:05, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Usually a spinning disk need about 1amp at 12v to spin up each disk.  I have had to upsize a power supply because the original ps was no longer quit big enough after the disks had aged and increased startup current closer to the max specified for the disk.  Max x disks was a few amps over the ps rating, but worked when the disks were new.

I'm not surprised, but I learned to replace disks at end-of-warranty.   In the early years not many lasted the warranty period with our workloads (constantly filling and emptying disks), but now manufacturers have got things dialed in so the failure rate soars after end-of-warranty. (Ferrups)

If your 3kva ups shuts off on a 1.2kva load that means it has a battery with at least one dead cell in it.  If multiple new batteries are in it you need a load tester to put a load on the batteries and see which one has a low voltage.  I have had to do that on a 7.5kva/4×12v system and at idle all 4 batteries voltages look about the same, but under load one battery  was about 2v low.    My batteries were under 12 month warranty still so i was able to get a new one sent.

For the mission-critical systems we used BEST Ferrups (retired from sea-duty) and then APC.  Both had good battery tests and we ran them regularly because a UPS failure could mean losing irreplaceable satellite downlink data  (corollary to Murphy's Law -- power is most likely to fail during time-critical processing stages)..

It was the 1.4 KVA UPS that rejected the startup load.  The 3KVA unit actually had new batteries configured well below maximum capacity because we only needed it to hold up long enough to be sure the generator had come online before starting a shutdown.