Re: NAS purchase advice

On Fri, 2021-12-03 at 10:45 +1030, Tim via users wrote:
> One of the surprises I got from building a basic server out of a
> standard motherboard was its relatively low power usage (I measured
> it, I'm not going by the labels on the equipment).

An older message, but I realised I didn't say what my readings were,
and didn't get around to filling them in earlier on.  And it may be
useful to other people thinking about NASs vs PCs.

1.1 watts when everything is shut down and waiting on standby
25 watts when the PC is idling
30 watts when mildly busy
60 watts when firing up Firefox (with a lot of tabs)
         and Evolution  checking for new mail, simultaneously

This is a fairly ordinary motherboard from a few years ago (ASRock
B250M Pro4) with an i5-7600 quad core CPU running at 3.5GHz at full
tilt, but down to 800 MHz when resting, I have left the CPU speed being
automatically controlled without me customising it), two 8 gig RAM
sticks, a hard disc drive, mouse and keyboard.  Pretty much a minimum
basic PC setup.

There may be some small NAS devices that use less power, but I don't
think it's going to be significantly less power usage to care about all
that much, whereas a normal computer does whatever you want it to do,
can be a lot easier to manage, and update software.  One extra issue I
have to care about with NAS devices, being in a very hot country, is
that many have no cooling fans.

It's scary when you see PCs with 500 watt power supplies (or the
hardware manuals saying you need one), but they don't use 500 watts all
the time, if at all.  It's just their capability.  The main idea is
that a beefy power supply doesn't have any problems when everything
cold boots.  Probably the only thing that's really going to cause the
average user's PC to use a lot of power is gaming with fancy on-the-fly
graphics rendering.