Re: Problems with USB AudioEngine Speakers [another couple of data points]

On 27/10/21 22:09, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 27/10/2021 18:41, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 27/10/21 10:04, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 10/26/21 15:46, Stephen Morris wrote:
I have the same issue as Jonathan, in that all I see are:
             Off
             Analog Stereo Duplex
             Analog Stereo Output
             Analog Stereo Input
But I am running Fedora in a Vmware VM using vmware's built in Audio interface. The device it sees is ES1371/ES1373/Creative Labs CT2518(Audio PCI 64V/128/5200 / Creative CT4810/CT5803/CT5806 [Sound Blaster PCI]. I think that selection came from Pulseaudio as System Settings->Hardware->Audio doesn't provide me with any option to select different Hardware if I want to. I'm using Logitech 7.1 headphones and with these settings usage of the volume control on the headphones is a bit dodgy at times in that it doesn't always actually control the volume. The profile options change if I disconnect the Logitech G533 headphones from the host and connect them to the VM, but I don't get anything like the options that Ed mentioned, but that may also be because Fedora doesn't seem to have direct support for those headphones (at least the last time I looked, and I haven't looked for a while) and Logitech don't provide any interfaces for Linux like they do for windows. Since moving F34 I haven't tried getting my "water fountain" bluetooth speakers working again with the Bluetooth 4.0 dongle as I found it very fiddly to actually get working and the usage of the speakers doesn't warrant the effort in setting it up again.

If it's in a VM, then it can only see the virtual device that the VM host is providing which is going to be completely different from the real device and won't likely have many options.  Any specific control of the real device has to be done in the host OS.
The control of the real device is being done via the Logitech windows driver application and in the vm, when I use the volume control on the headphones sometimes I get a volume level widget displayed on the screen and sometimes I don't, and sometimes using the headphones volume control manipulates the volume levels and sometimes it does nothing. Even when the volume is at 100% it is sometimes hard to hear the audio, and it get better if I direct connect the headphones to the vm.

I'm a bit confused based on the last 2 of your posts.

Is your VM a Fedora VM or a Windows VM?
Hi Ed, my vm is Vmware Player on a Windows 10 host. It has also just had an update to provide Windows 11 support, which I also assume means it now supports UEFI even though there is not an explicit setting for it. UEFI support raises some questions about how Fedora installs are done, but that is a question for another thread.

regards,
Steve

--
On Facebook it is called Vaguebooking.