Re: Failure in gsetting up a UEFI USB Flash with Fedora 33??

On 9 Sep 2021 at 19:16, Samuel Sieb wrote:

Subject:        	Re: Failure in gsetting up a UEFI USB
Flash with Fedora 33??
To:             	users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From:           	Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx>
Date sent:      	Thu, 9 Sep 2021 19:16:51 -0700
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora
users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On 9/9/21 12:22 PM, Michael D. Setzer II via users wrote:
> > I don't want to create a UEFI Secure boot, since I have no
> > way to pay for the expensive process of getting an official
> > signature for the kernels I build from kernel.org source
> > code. Kernels are about 10M in size, and the
> > ramdisk.lzma is about 30M with supporting file system
> > that then runs in Ram. In contrast the Fedora live Image
> > is about 2G in size, and doesn't include a number of
> > packages that are needed for the disk imaging.
>
> Is there a reason you can't use the Fedora kernel?  That would give you
> full secure boot support.  What different options are you using for your
> kernel?
I have done a test.
I can boot from the Fedora 34 live cd I have setup in
Virtual box. 2G boot file.
I've found that there are 23 packages that are not
included in the live cd setup, so have to install them.

dnf install ncftp nano dialog fsarchiver aespipe bwm-ng
dd_rescue ddrescue f3 hexedit iperf fuse-sshfs strace
testdisk hdparm dmidecode nvme-cli gpm rpcbind
partclone udpcast

Then there is the g4l script plus a copy little programs
and scripts. Did a comparison of the /bin and /sbin
directories to see what wasn't there. Might be some of
those packages that are not needed by main script, but
the main script is 2460 lines long, so would have to go
thru it.

Found files from 2006 where I had some systems that
wouldn't boot from the G4L kernels, but booted fine with
Knoppix live cd. Had created a simpler setup that worked
with that. Booting the knoppix, and then just extacting
the missing programs. But a lot had been added since
2006.

So, going from a simple boot with a 10M kernel and 30M
filesystem running in ram versus booting to a 2G
filesystem and having to add stuff requiring the internet.

Not clear why the grub2-install fails with the efi message
about not supporting secure boot, since I am not looking
for efi secure boot??

> Have you looked at a Fedora bootable flash drive to see where the files are?
I've looked at the /boot efi files on the Fedora 34 live CD,
but they seem to be locked for the secure boot enabled
Fedora kernels, and wouldn't work with my kernels, since
they don't have the signature..

Will keep looking, but the answer may be it is beyond my
abilities. But guess if memtest can't create a setup for
EFI, it can't be easy.