Re: Xorg Scaling Issues (Solved)

On 13/6/21 00:33, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 12/06/2021 21:45, Stephen Morris wrote:
The problem I have is Gnome scales when the windows size changes, but KDE does not, which is why I put the modelines in the conf file, and then KDE does scale.

I think it is going to be "difficult" to track down the actual culprit.  I say that because of my following experience.

1.  qemu VM, Gnome on Xorg, gdm display manager.  Display changes size depending on the qemu console window size.

2.  qemu VM, Plasma on Xorg, sddm display manager.  Display does not change as the qemu console is resized.      I need to add modelines to get what I want and select it in System-Settings.

3.  qemu VM, Plasma on Xorg, gdm display manager.  Display changes size depending on the qemu console window size.
In my case I am running Plasma on Xorg, gdm display manager. Before I put in the xorg config file with the modelines, Gnome would scale with window resizes but Plasma would not.

4.  VirtualBox VM, both Gnome on Xorg with gdm and Plasma on Xorg with sddm the Display changes size depending on the
      VirutalBox console window size.

When it comes to the qemu cases I thought it may have been due to the video driver.  But in all cases lsmod shows the
same set of virtio modules loaded.
As far as I can see from lsmod, both Gnome and Plasma are loading vmwgfx. Also in both Gnome and Plasma, the xorg log file says that the vmware_drv.so module is being loaded, and then vmware displays a message about the vmware drivers for vmware SVGA being VMWARE05, VMWARE0710, so I'm not sure what it is loading as I can't find and entry in lsmod for either of those "drivers", nor can I find an entry for the vmware driver module xorg said it loaded.

Also, in VirtualBox the modules are all vmwgfx.

I suspect it may be somehow related to kwin_x11 and how it is integrated.

How did you you get the monitor-get-edid to work, when I switch to root with "sudo su -" and issue the command I get access denied, have I done something wrong?

I don't think you've done anything wrong.  I think it has to do with the drivers in use.  As I mentioned in another post, I can get the correct output with nouveau but not with nVidia.  Also having to do with accessing /dev/mem.  It also works fine in a qemu/virtio environment.  I forgot to check with VirtualBox.  I don't have VMware in order to test that.
Just as a side issue to this, when I was searching on the net for information on video resizing, I found an entry for a person raising an issue with video resizing in KDE on Wayland in F34. One of the responses in the issue said that KDE on Wayland was not stable. I remember that in F33 you mentioned to me that KDE on Wayland was not stable, hence is that still the case in F34?

regards,
Steve