Re: machine will not boot after moving root

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 11:17 PM Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/23/21 3:37 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> >> With the hard disk only does it find grub and does it display a menu
> >> or drop you to the grub> prompt?
> >
> > I get the grub prompt.
>
> And this is where you can only see (hd0)?  That sounds like grub is
> messed up now and can't find it's modules.

BIOS GRUB has two kinds of prompts:

grub>
grub rescue>

If it is the former, that means it did find modules (well, in
particular it found normal.mod at least), but did not find grub.cfg.
That's curious given the sequence we know so far.

If it is the latter, then we're in core.img (stage 2) only, and it
didn't find either grub.cfg or modules. This means core.img isn't
pointing to the proper grub device and path, which is ordinarily baked
into the core.img by grub2-mkimage which is part of what grub2-install
does. So... yeah it's kinda confusing. But ordinarily a grub2-install
/dev/sda will fix that.

But I'm not sure in what environment the commands are being issued.
grub2-install can be pointed at an alternate root, but grub2-mkconfig
is kinda fussy, and doesn't really do the alternate root routine very
well. I've only found it reliable to run in a chroot of a properly
assembled system. Netinstall rescue option does this for us, but Live
boots don't have that so you have to assemble manually:

mount /dev/root /mnt/sysimage
mount /dev/boot /mnt/sysimage/boot   # in this case it's skipped
because /boot is a dir on sysroot
mount -B /dev /mnt/sysimage/dev
mount -B /sys /mnt/sysimage/sys
mount -B /proc /mnt/sysimage/proc
mount -B /run /mnt/sysimage/run
chroot

then do grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

then reboot

I don't know if all of those are needed. /run probably isn't. But...

> At this point I suggest you use the live boot to backup any config files
> you think you might need and just do a re-install.  It will be a lot
> easier.  Also backup your /home files just in case.

I agree. This is probably more grief than it's worth. Backup /home to
some other drive entirely. And obliterate /dev/sda with automatic
partitioning, using "reclaim space" to also Delete All.  Or if
allergic to both LVM and Btrfs, use "Custom-Automatic" UI, i.e. choose
Custom, pick the Standard partition scheme popup, then the blue text
to create partitions automatically. Install.

Two independent backups for anything important.

--
Chris Murphy