Re: machine will not boot after moving root

If you used rsync to copy from one disk to the other then the uuid
would have changed on the new fs as compared to the old fs.  I
typically copy /boot the hard crude way (dd) and copy LVM using the
LVM tools (pvmove and friends) and in both cases that maintains the
same UUID on the old and new.

You will need to find the new uuid and update grub to be using that
anyplace it has the old uuid then reinstall it on sda if grub is going
to boot first, or see if a microsoft install cd will fix the windows
side of the system, or see below match the new fs to have the old
uuid.

Once you get the system fixed to boot one then  you need to use the
working bootloader to boot the other system.  There are instructions
on how to boot windows from grub, and I believe also how to boot
grub/linux from a windows boot loader, I assume some deviation of said
instructions will work.    I would probably lean to using grub to boot
either as it seems to be better documented and is known to be able to
boot a number of different oses.  The one that boots first will be
whichever bootloader gets installed directly on /dev/sda, then it will
have something from the second bootable image that it loads to start
the other OS when the other os'es menu option is selected.

grub2-probe looks like it might once bootedup and rescued might let
you probe to confirm the new uuid.

I am not sure there is a way to without editing the cfg file to fix it.

It does appear that tune2fs (ext2/3/4) will let you set the uuid on a
filesystem so you could set your new device to have the old uuid.  if
xfs then xfs_admin will let you do the same thing.

What was sda3 before that you could now use it for the system on sda5?

You might detail what the partition layout/usage was before and what
you moved it to.

A partition table rework/new boot disk/device  setup is never a simple
job unless you have a very standard system layout and you have done a
lot of testing, or are letting anaconda do it all.