Re: BTRFS partition corrupted after deleting files in /home

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 9:22 AM Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://listi.jpberlin.de/pipermail/smartmontools-support/2020-November/000559.html
>
> Your message indicated a sequence of errors that look like write
> failures, which sounds a lot like the problem that Chris described with
> your btrfs, "multiple writes from one commit are missing"
>
> With all respect due to Carlos E. R., given that you were seeing read
> and write errors then, and you appear to be seeing write errors still,
> perhaps the conclusion that your hardware is OK was premature.  You
> should remain open the possibility that there is something wrong with
> one piece of hardware or another, particularly as you continue to gather
> new evidence.

I am fully open to the fact that there may be something wrong with my HDD.
But it is difficult to believe that, since this laptop is from 2016
and I had been using Windows 10 on it for a long time and saw no
problems.
Then I used Ubuntu with EXT4, then migrated to Fedora with Old-LVM
with EXT4 and had been using it without any problems.

I mean I restored LVM snapshots as old as 3 months, it took time but
it never failed on me.

The reason I switched to thin-pools and BTRFS is because older LVM
snapshots are activated and boot times and depending on the size of
the snapshot slows down boot exponentially.

Having said all that, I don't believe there is something wrong with
the hardware per se, but I do believe the firmware is not capable for
BTRFS.

I will need further investigation for this, lets see what I can find.

--
Regards,
Sreyan Chakravarty