Re: [NOT SOLVED] Audacity can't play audio on Fedora 32

On 5/27/20 12:26 AM, stan via users wrote:
Just to confirm, they are for the same user?  Both are using
pulseaudio?  If one is using alsa directly then the multi input, multi
output benefits of pulseaudio are not available.

If you are talking in terms of Unix users - then yes. I am the only user of my laptop.

And I am sure not launching Firefox or Audacity as root, so both are running as the same user.

What happens if instead of closing firefox, you close the youtube
video?

Ok, here is what happens.

If I pause the video and wait for 30-45 seconds 'sysdefault' reappears in Audacity and it can function fine. If I start the Youtube video then, while sound is playing in Audacity, then I guess Firefox does not know what to do and just stalls the video. Other parts of the browser work fine, just the video/audio is not played. It is completely halted.

I pause Audacity reload the webpage in Firefox, the video and audio work fine.

How have you got sound configured to use pulseaudio in firefox?
I have not configured any such thing in Firefox. It came pre-installed with Fedora and I have been using it as is ever since.
In audacity?
No such configuration here either except I have to select 'sysdefault' from time to time, as I have told you before.
What if you don't minimize firefox?  It could be that
minimizing firefox locks the audio device to firefox, preventing
pulseaudio from using the output device.
I don't know but that should not be the case any way.
If there is not an error in your configuration, then
this could be a bug in pulseaudio.
I have no idea how there could be an error in my configuration when I have not done any such configuration. Maybe, the installer detected bad defaults and configured it improperly.
I have to say this seems unlikely,
after all this time that pulseaudio has been in use.
In that case it might
be a bug in the desktop.
What I am trying to do now is to narrow down the buggy component and open a bug report for that.
Works fine for me, which is why I think it is something in your
configuration.

Are you on Gnome ? On Fedora 32 ?

If so, you are right about my configuration being wrong. But I HAVE NOT CONFIGURED ANYTHING SO FAR.

I am just using whatever defaults were given to me.

So what do I do ?

Not much point to having sound from two different sources
playing to a single output unless I'm trying to emulate a cocktail
party or something, but another data point.

The point is not to have multiple sound sources playing at the same time, but to have 'sane' behavior.

Its really annoying if I have to close another unrelated application to use another one. Nevertheless, this is a bug.

I just want to know which component is the culprit.

--
Regards,
Sreyan