Re: Audacity can't play audio on Fedora 32

On Sun, 24 May 2020 19:55:15 +0530
Sreyan Chakravarty <sreyan32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Audacity is unable to play any sort of audio in Fedora 32 on my HP
> Notebook.
>
> I installed Audacity from Gnome Software so pretty sure it is a
> FlatPak.

Pretty sure it is an RPM unless you have things configured strangely.
It is good to use the rpm from RPMFusion, because then you get the
patented audio and video codecs, so audacity can play audio from videos.

> Whenever I hit the play button I get:
>
> "Error opening sound device.
>
> Try changing the audio host, playback device and the project sample
> rate."

Did you try changing the playback device as the message suggests?  You
need to select the analog output device in order to play audio.

> I did ask the guys over at the Audacity Forums, but they were, lets
> say, less than helpful.
>
> You can find the full details of my thread here:
>
> https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=395574

Your lack of knowledge created a response gap with the advice they were
giving.

> The sound devices listed in Audacity are:
>
>   * HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 0 (hw:0.3)
>
>   * HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 1 (hw:0.7)
>
>   * HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 2 (hw:0.8)
>
>   * HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 3 (hw:0.9)
>
>   * HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 4 (hw:0.10)
>
>   * hdmi

None of these will be efficacious with audacity.

> And you can find my "Audio Device Info" from Audacity over here:
>
> https://pastebin.com/raw/icDNX20x

Why is this list different than the devices listed above as available in
audacity?  Until the analog card is available in audacity, you will not
be able to play audio there.

> So far no other application has given me any issues with sound,
> Firefox, VLC, Rhytmbox all work fine. Its only Audacity that is the
> oddball.
>
> Since the people at Audacity don't know what is going on, I am asking
> you guys.

>From the thread, I would draw a different conclusion.  But, oh well.

> Let me know if any further diagnostic info is required.

==============================
Default recording device number: 12
Default playback device number: 12
==============================
Device ID: 0
Device name: HDA Intel PCH: ALC3227 Analog (hw:0,0)
Host name: ALSA
Recording channels: 2
Playback channels: 2
Low Recording Latency: 0.00580499
Low Playback Latency: 0.00580499
High Recording Latency: 0.0348299
High Playback Latency: 0.0348299
Supported Rates:

This is your problem.  Your default device in pulseaudio is number 12,
which corresponds to an hdmi (digital) output.  You need your default
device in pulseaudio to be number 0, which corresponds to analog output.

Try this.  Open pavucontrol, go to the last tab.  Make sure that the
analog device is listed as available there.  Then, go to the outputs
tab, and select the analog device, and click the little green checkmark
to set it as the default.  If you can't complete these instructions,
return with a description of why.  If you can, audacity should now be
able to produce audio.  Before you conclude it can't, configure audio
in audacity to use the analog device for both playback and recording.

This should not have been necessary.  Device 0 is the usual default for
pulseaudio in the default settings for alsa.  Did you do any audio
configuration?