Re: [NOT SOLVED] Audacity can't play audio on Fedora 32

On Tue, 26 May 2020 19:16:23 +0530
Sreyan Chakravarty <sreyan32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/24/20 11:38 PM, stan via users wrote:
> > Did you try changing the playback device as the message suggests?
> > You need to select the analog output device in order to play audio.
> >

> Ok I spoke too soon and there is definitely is a problem and the
> problem is a really weird one.
>

> Lets say that you are playing a YouTube video on Firefox, and you
> pause the Youtube video in the browser and minimize it.
>
> You now start Audacity and you will find that you can't play any
> audio on Audacity until Firefox is closed. 'sysdefault' and 'default'
> will have disappeared from Audacity.

Just to confirm, they are for the same user?  Both are using
pulseaudio?  If one is using alsa directly then the multi input, multi
output benefits of pulseaudio are not available.

> What the kind of weird error is this ? I can't use Firefox and
> Audacity at the same time ?

What happens if instead of closing firefox, you close the youtube
video?  How have you got sound configured to use pulseaudio in firefox?
In audacity?  What if you don't minimize firefox?  It could be that
minimizing firefox locks the audio device to firefox, preventing
pulseaudio from using the output device.

> Is this a limitation of the Linux Sound subsystem ALSA ?

No, if you are using pulseaudio in both applications, it is happening
because of pulseaudio.  But, this is the whole purpose of pulseaudio.
It allows multiple inputs to be routed to multiple outputs, in various
combinations.  If there is not an error in your configuration, then
this could be a bug in pulseaudio.  I have to say this seems unlikely,
after all this time that pulseaudio has been in use.

But it could also be an error in the interaction of the desktop you are
using with pulseaudio.  It might be that the desktop is not forwarding
pulseaudio requests to minimized applications, so pulseaudio can't
reuse the audio device for a new audio request.  In that case it might
be a bug in the desktop.

However, this could be a corner case that is difficult to solve, and
thus a known issue where the solution is 'Don't do that!'.

> Does this happen for anyone else ?

Works fine for me, which is why I think it is something in your
configuration.

Also, if I use sound as two different users, one switches to another
device because it is locked out of the original device by pulseaudio.

I have also found that if I play sound as the same user in different
applications, they both play at the same time (similar to your use
case).  Not much point to having sound from two different sources
playing to a single output unless I'm trying to emulate a cocktail
party or something, but another data point.

If you don't want to continue troubleshooting, open a bugzilla against
pulseaudio, describing the behavior, and how to recreate it.  That will
let people more knowledgeable than me look at it.