Re: Errors in Classifying Updates

On 5/14/20 11:34 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 05/14/2020 12:20 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:

Besides, you say the file doesn't vanish until the last program closes it.  While technically true, it's not practically true.  Sure, the inode still exists in the file system, but the name is gone or points to a different file.  So even if one application still has it open, another one will get a different version and that's another potential failure point.

Having the inode in use by a different file would be a nasty bug.  The only thing that makes sense is for the file to exist, although no longer listed in the directory, but only accessible by files that were using it before it was deleted.  If you disagree, please explain why your case makes sense and doesn't lead to file corruption.

I'm saying that if one executable has a shared library open and then that library is deleted, the inode still exists. However, the same path could now point to a different inode with a new version of the library and any executables getting started after will get that. This applies to any other file types as well.

But this discussion is rather irrelevant anyway. You're not going to get what you want. Online updates are not "supported". You can do them if you want, but you are on your own. I do online upgrades (not system upgrades), but I also generally reboot right after. I prefer to do them online so I can keep using the computer while it's happening but also dnf doesn't support offline updates yet.