Re: Move files into storage device -

Tim:
>> They supported NFS (either already, or you had to plough through
>> options to enable it).

Bob Goodwin:
> I bought it to provide storage space for image files from iPhone
> cameras and it looks like it does that nicely. I have no intention to
> make it in to an NFS, I have a dedicated Fedora computer for that
> purpose and rely on it,

That answer is incoherent.

Such a cloud device can be a NAS (network attached storage).  The
method of accessing it could be NFS (network file system), it could be
SMB (server message block, i.e. Samba).

NFS is a commonly used network filing stem on Unix/Linux.

SMB is the old Windows networking, that has spread like the plague to
other computing systems.  We have Samba to deal with it.

Each has their configuration difficulties.  Each has their issues in
appearing to give transparent access to the stored files as if it were
the same as the hard drive on your computer.  They have to deal with
which user is which locally and on the NAS, and they have to handle
file permissions.

SMB brings in an extra set of pain - one SMB server has to be the boss,
they elect this amongst themselves based on some formular of biggest
&/or best CPU, uptime, and how many fingers I'm holding up.  If the
boss goes offline, they have an election after 15 minutes of waiting
around (and usually 15 minutes of broken networking), to work who'll be
the new boss.  You can tweak that in your /etc/smb.conf file (to
increase/decrease your computer's chance at becoming this "browse
master" boss), but it's harder to do that with a NAS (you have to
enable SSH access, ssh in and edit its smb.conf file, and hope that it
doesn't change your settings on you, later on).

Hence, for my systems, I've stuck with NFS (less pain to deal with),
though they added their own particular pain (Western Digital pain, not
NFS pain), by squashing all file ownership to user ID 1000.  Again, I
ssh'd in, changed their /etc/exports file.  They regularly screw up
NFS, and don't want to support it, by configuring it in stupid manners,
claiming NFS is too hard (only because they made it so).

And regardless of whether you have other NAS, or other file servers
using NFS or SMB, this cloud device is its own server for one or more
of those protocols.  Having a Fedora server using NFS or SMB does not
preclude you adding a NAS device that is using NFS &/or SMB, too.

> I am not certain if it sleeps, I suspect it does if not stimulated
> for a while, but don't know and have not seen anything that touched
> on that. I don't know that a wake-up delay would matter for that use,
> they are mainly freeing up space on the phones.

I think you'll find they're preset to go to sleep when idle.  All the
ones I've come across had it as the default setting.

It's as well to have a look at the configuration of your device.  Use
your web browser to browse to the address of your device.  Look through
the options is presents.  The devices have a little web server built
into them to let you control the device.

> Well it shows up in Network but I can't connect from their, not even
> to list the files, I dunno if it even has a Samba server.

What shows up in the Network section of the file browser is generally
using SMB for the file access (I believe it can use other protocols,
but I see no clues as to how).  Though, other protocols may discover
the *presence* of the device (mDNS, Avahi, Bonjour, etc), actual access
is through SMB/Samba.

> I have a dedicated Fedora box that serves as a Samba server and I can
> connect to that and manipulate stuff from this computer, the servers
> are headless and I can use ssh and/or sftp for that.

>From my point of view, that's the easiest of way of dealing with adding
more storage (adding big drives to a normal computer, that you can
configure exactly how you want it).

NAS devices have their quirks, but do let you plug in a small, low-
power, self-contained, device to do their prime job (storage, some
offer a bunch of other features, too).  And while they're not really
designed for unplugging and transporting to another network (not rugged
enough, and configuration annoyance), it can be done.  Probably they're
best feature is being low-cost to run 24/7, for people who have a home
entertainment TV/sound system accessing files stored on it, who don't
want to run a full PC 24/7 for that role.  But if you already have a
server PC running 24/7, a NAS device is just a new headache.

> I hope this thing will just run without any attention from me.

Once you get it going, it's going to be like that.  Getting started is
the hard part.

If you don't care who owns what, and are fine with everything being
world readable and writeable, then you may be able to use the thing
with minimal configuration, just dumping all your files in its "public"
folder.  If you want file ownership control, you're going to have to
set up user accounts and user folders on it (done through its web
interface).  You may have to set up user accounts on the device, even
if you're just going to use the public folder.  With SMB you may need
to set the workgroup name, though it's possible that the file browser
will let you drill down from the device to where you want.

e.g. //devicename/workgroupname/sharename

Or just let you directly access it via browsing:  smb://devicename/

You'll need to decide how to access it (SMB &/or NFS), and configure
your clients appropriately.  Add mount points on them, or use an autofs
that does it for you.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1062.18.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 17 23:49:17 UTC 2020 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.