Re: Move files into storage device -

On 2020-04-04 14:31, Tim via users wrote:
They supported NFS (either already, or you had to plough through
options to enable it).  But they supported it badly, user-permissions
were mangled to destroy personal ownership, and other methods were
sometimes used to restrict access to just the owner, or things were
just available to everybody (these things tend to be aimed for very
dumb usage - a really bad idea for something that's network accessible,
even worse if it's available to the internet).
°
I bought it to provide storage space for image files from iPhone cameras and it looks like it does that nicely. I have no intention to make it in to an NFS, I have a dedicated Fedora computer for that purpose and rely on it,
They like to go to sleep when idle, and hibernate when left idle for
long enough.  So, putting entries for them in your /etc/fstab file can
cause you headaches as Linux expects a resource to be there when
accessed, and can behave badly when it's not.  I use autofs, instead,
so that when I try to access /net/name-of-cloud-device the named cloud
device is automatically mounted (and waking up sleeping cloud devices,
if I'm lucky).  Sometimes a comatose cloud device will not wake up, and
I'll either have to access its configuration webpage in Firefox to try
and bring it to life, or unplug its power to reboot it.  If your
intention is to have an always-available device, you could disable its
sleep mode, but the device may not have adequate cooling to run
continuously (most of these things are fanless).  All in all, I think
they're a typically crappy consumer device.
°
I am not certain if it sleeps, I suspect it does if not stimulated for a while, but don't know and have not seen anything that touched on that. I don't know that a wake-up delay would matter for that use, they are mainly freeing up space on the phones.

Since these NAS devices are primarily aimed at the Windows and Mac
crowd, it's probable that getting Samba running on your computer is
going to be the easiest supported way to make use of them.  I haven't
used Samba for over a decade, so I'm well out of practice.  Are you
familiar with Samba?
°
Well it shows up in Network but I can't connect from their, not even to list the files, I dunno if it even has a Samba server. I have a dedicated Fedora box that serves as a Samba server and I can connect to that and manipulate stuff from this computer, the servers are headless and I can use ssh and/or sftp for that.

Whatever method you use, I'd advise configuring the cloud device to
have a fixed IP.  It's a lot easier to deal with it when its address is
always the same.
°
My ASUS dd-wrt router assigns ipaddresses and I made the Mycloud static.

I hope this thing will just run without any attention from me. I have a lot of trouble seeing the small iPhone screen, I have a Merlin cctv device that I put small things like that and can get them on a large display, that works better with the iPad for me. Anyway I let my daughter set-up the Mycloud device, I just answered her questions and heard no mention of updating, she may have ignored it? However it would be nice if I had some access to it which is what inspired me to ask here, it's not critical now ...

I thank you for the response and appreciate your suggestions.
-- [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp Linux 5.0.16-100.fc28.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 14 18:22:28 UTC 2019 x86_64

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia,
Fedora Linux-31 XFCE