Re: Move files into storage device -

On Sat, 2020-04-04 at 13:28 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I connected a WD Mycloud storage device to my LAN and would like to
> transfer some files from this Fedora 31 computer to it. Although it
> seems to work well enough with the iPhones it is primarily an Apple
> or Windows device and does not appear to be Linux friendly. Is there
> a way to load some files from this box directly without sending them
> to an ios device first? I am hoping someone has has experience with
> one of these,

I've used older ones (yes, I do mean WD MyCloud devices, not just
similar functioning devices).

They supported NFS (either already, or you had to plough through
options to enable it).  But they supported it badly, user-permissions
were mangled to destroy personal ownership, and other methods were
sometimes used to restrict access to just the owner, or things were
just available to everybody (these things tend to be aimed for very
dumb usage - a really bad idea for something that's network accessible,
even worse if it's available to the internet).

Newer ones stopped supporting NFS (either it wasn't there, or was even
worse, or you had to figure out how to get it running from scratch).
The ironic tag-monster automatically chose this email's tag, ha.

So, unless you're trying to solve a known problem, I wouldn't update
the firmware in one of these cloud devices, and I'd turn off any auto-
updating options.  Since they may be set up to auto-update by default,
I unplugged my link to the internet while setting them up.  I also
turned off various unneeded features in the cloud device.  Since I
wasn't using it as a media server, I turned that off (which also should
stop it trawling through its files to database them - this can take
forever, especially as they rescanned the entire drive whenever new
files were added, rather than just update an existing database).  Do
let the device access a timeserver so that its clock is in time with
your system.  It makes file management much easier if files have sane
datestamps, and I found NFS refused to work if the clocks were too far
out of step between cloud and a Fedora PC.

They like to go to sleep when idle, and hibernate when left idle for
long enough.  So, putting entries for them in your /etc/fstab file can
cause you headaches as Linux expects a resource to be there when
accessed, and can behave badly when it's not.  I use autofs, instead,
so that when I try to access /net/name-of-cloud-device the named cloud
device is automatically mounted (and waking up sleeping cloud devices,
if I'm lucky).  Sometimes a comatose cloud device will not wake up, and
I'll either have to access its configuration webpage in Firefox to try
and bring it to life, or unplug its power to reboot it.  If your
intention is to have an always-available device, you could disable its
sleep mode, but the device may not have adequate cooling to run
continuously (most of these things are fanless).  All in all, I think
they're a typically crappy consumer device.

Since these NAS devices are primarily aimed at the Windows and Mac
crowd, it's probable that getting Samba running on your computer is
going to be the easiest supported way to make use of them.  I haven't
used Samba for over a decade, so I'm well out of practice.  Are you
familiar with Samba?

Whatever method you use, I'd advise configuring the cloud device to
have a fixed IP.  It's a lot easier to deal with it when its address is
always the same.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 5.0.16-100.fc28.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 14 18:22:28 UTC 2019 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

The mindset of software designers:  You know that feature that you, and
many thousands of other users, found useful?  We removed it, because
we didn't like it.  We also hard-coded the default settings that you
keep customising.