Re: Upgrade of F30 to F31 Appears to Have not Worked Correctly

On 12/2/20 18:12, Stephen Morris wrote:

On 12/2/20 17:54, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 2020-02-12 14:37, Stephen Morris wrote:
Thanks Ed, I'll see if I can find someone who is running the same setup as me. As a side issue, I had to reinstall vmware and virtualbox as a result of having to reinstall windows because the SSD that is windows drive c died on the weekend. After the reinstall of virtualbox the network issues I had with the original install have disappeared, but the X11 virtualbox video driver supplied by fedora does not support the 4k resolution of my monitor whereas the X11 vmware driver supplied by fedora does. Is this something that can be raised as a bugzilla?
AFAIK, and I could be wrong, the driver supplied by fedora is an opensource version of the driver supplied
by VMware.  Much like nouveau is the opensource of the nVidia driver.
You are correct in saying the driver supplied for vmware is open source, but with the advent of Version 11 and onwards of the vmware-tools vmware require users to source and use the vmware-tools supplied by linux distributions, as opposed to a windows guest where vmware still supply the vmware-tools.

In Virtualbox I installed the F31 Astronomy-KDE spin, so in order to get Gnome I did a dnf install of group "Fedora Workstation", and I also did a group install of "KDE Plasma Workspaces" in addition. After the install I logged out and logged back into Gnome on Wayland and the issue is occurring in Virtualbox now as well, which is not surprising as Virtualbox and Vmware seem to be running the same video driver as according to inxi both are running with a driver named "vmware". This driver appears to potentially be the driver from the fedora repositories, as after running the install script from the virtualbox-guest-additions mount point the fedora virtualbox-guest-additions package was installed even though I did not explicitly install it at any point. Having said this, both virtualbox and vmware could be using a driver of the same name and them not be the same physical driver, which if that is the case, given that both have the issue, that would potentially mean the issue is not the driver itself but is actually Wayland itself, or am I jumping to the wrong conclusion?

regards,
Steve

regards,
Steve

So, sure, you can raise a BZ.  But not sure how long it would take, or how much effort would be put into, getting
the capability added.