Re: Is This Windows?.....

On 2019-12-30 5:52 p.m., Chris Murphy wrote:
On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 8:02 AM John Mellor <john.mellor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've complained about this issue before.  Its a defective design
decision made by the Gnome people, some of whom I suspect to be
ex-Windows people trying to sabotage the desktop    ;^0

Your email is 1) inconsiderate, specifically it is vapid and without
thought. It's not rational. It's not factual. 2) it is not respectful,
specifically it's transparently an intent to evoke an emotional
response by using "Windows" and "sabotage" as insults. You are
accusing people you do not know, have no evidence of, of willfully,
intentionally, destroying your experience and the experience of
others.

By doing this, you have exposed your frustration and your inability or
unwillingness to control your own emotional state. This is your
failure. Not anyone else's.

And it pollutes any possible legitimate objective criticism you could
subsequently say, because you've already burned down the boats and the
docks along with them.

My suggestion is you offer a convincing apology, or remove yourself
from the list.

Thank you for providing a link to the CofC document.  I may have been misinterpreted in my attempt at humour (note the emoji in the context), and will therefore refrain from such in the presence of a few people with sore funnybones.  Apologies.

However, I believe that you have completely missed the point of the threads.  If Gnome (for example) is not API-safe and failures may occur when upgrading its components and/or apps, then a suitable workaround would possibly be to install only those app updates over a reboot, and allow the other packages to be updated normally and without requiring a reboot.  Maybe this could easily be flagged for dnf using a static list of package groups that are known to be unsafe.  This possible solution would remove the need for 75% of the reboots.

--

John Mellor