The rationale appears to be that everything will break unless you do this reboot, but that is very incorrect.  Even if you swap the kernel or libc, this is an inode-based system and things continue to work as expected.  Running applications that expect a specific libc version have it loaded in their address space already, and an update will not affect them.

You need to mark that a future reboot is required in one or two isolated situations, to pick up the security update or new behaviour, but it should be a simple login warning flag, not a forced reboot.  There are only three situations that I can think of that would actually malfunction:

1) an app using memory-mapped i/o and the developer forgot to lock the file, and this is an app defect that should be fixed, not accommodated.

2) an major API shift that requires a change in two running apps.  Since this is supposed to only happen when changing Fedora (or other distros), its a serious development error when it happens, and this too should be fixed instead of accommodated. E.g, that's why Ubuntu has the backports repo sections in order to guarantee that these shifts do not occur in a given release.

3) an app using dlsym to discover the offset of an entry point in an unloaded .so lib long before using it, and the library shifts under the running app.  Good practices require that you either do that just before every use in a lock, simply load the library, or check the file age before doing it.  This too is therefore an application error to be corrected and not an update problem.

There are many people here parroting the defective Gnome thinking about rebooting, but I have yet to either hear of or experience an actual problem caused by not rebooting in 20 years of Linux use and almost 45 years of Unix use.  Unix is designed to prevent this problem, while Windows [and VMS that it is directly based upon] are not able to handle the problem correctly.  There is no use-case for this forced-reboot behaviour.  It would probably be humorously interesting to hear what Linus thinks of this bastardization of his baby, as its actually a ruse by the Gnome developers to justify their broken design decision to put the update code in the boot sequence instead of just doing the simpler and easier code in the update app.

--

John Mellor

On 2019-12-29 3:50 p.m., Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
k....I'm just gonna ask this:

Why is it now that when I get notifications for updates I'm being prompted to "restart & Install"?......

W    T    H!????

Is this WINDOWS!?.......I have enjoyed the fact that I could update my system and use my computer until I was ready to shutdown / restart at my leisure. Now?....there's a funky button up top of the Software Updates (after its found packages to update) that says "Restart & Install"?......is there ANY way possible to TURN THIS CRAP OFF!!?? Is there some config file I can alter that will make this GO AWAY!? (I know I'm acting like a lunatic, but I was in the IT field since the Windows NT 4.0 days...and after finding Linux?...I have enjoyed NOT having to restart after updates.) Please Fedora Admins.....Fedora Magical Unicorns......Fedora High Council Wizards....PLEASE find a way to make this just GO AWAY!?....

EGO II