Re: upgrade problem: space on '/' filesystem.

On 10/15/19 10:44 AM, home user wrote:
(responding to Samuel)
 > This is a 3rd-party application that you installed manually.
sigh.  How did I miss that?  (don't answer!)  You're correct.  It's for zoom meetings.  On a few issues that I bring to this list, I wish I could do a zoom meeting to deal with it.  With one of this list's authoritative experts on the other end, it would be faster, easier, and more effective.  Both microsoft and HP have tools for connecting to a remote windows workstation; such a tool could also work.  Does Fedora have such a tool?

Gnome has built-in screen sharing, but you need a separate channel for audio. It also doesn't work through NAT because that would require an outside server.

> Since they're not causing you any problems and removing them won't get you much space back,
 > is it worth the effort to weed them out?
Mostly agree.  Let's put this aside for now, deal one two other upgrade questions/issues, and then handle the too-nearly-full filesystem in a separate thread.  But I think ultimately, the junk ought to be properly identified and cleaned out.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort to figure out what little can be removed.

The first upgrade question/issue:

During the download phase, dnf displayed the following:
-----
Running transaction test The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction. You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
-----
and when re-doing the download, dnf displayed the following:
-----
Download complete! Use 'dnf system-upgrade reboot' to start the upgrade.
To remove cached metadata and transaction use 'dnf system-upgrade clean'
The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
-----
My sense is that those two dnf commands are things the sys.admin. does if something goes wrong and he has to back-track (or start over).  Am I correct, or should I do those?  By the way, the dnf man page makes no mention of a system-upgrade command.

The first one is specific to the system-upgrade plugin because it puts the files in a different cache location than normal dnf. You would only need that if you decide not to do the upgrade and want to get the space back. Or very unlikely, in case something really went wrong and dnf can't recover from some corrupted files.

The second one is just the standard bit that dnf always puts at the end if you don't actually run the transaction (e.g. --downloadonly). The same reasons as the other one.