Re: Slow....And STILL Slow!?....

Hi,

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 23:52:28 -0400 "Eddie O'Connor" <eoconnor25@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, after upgrading the RAM in my Lenovo ThinkPad T-420 I thought I'd get
> faster performance. But even with two 8GB sticks?....it's running even
> SLOWER?! Is there something I've done wrong? It's got a 320GB 7200RPM hard
> drive....and it's running F30. Funny thing is? .....before the upgrade it
> had just 8GB of RAM (two 4GB sticks) and seemed to run smoother and faster.
> Is there anything I can check to find out what the problem could be?

"slow" is really subjective, meaning that your feeling may not be mine,
it depends on your expectations, what you know and didn't told us and
what you do with your computer. Do you feel a global slowness, micro
hangs, long hangs, mouse or keyboard not responding, GUI not
responding, unusual timings of specific commands? Is this constant or
fluctuating?

As mentioned by another here, CPU could run slow, for various reasons
(for instance: overheat, often because the cooling system is in bad
condition or cannot compensate global conditions).

What does `top` command show (sort by cpu usage), any CPU-eating apps?

Mostly, the amount of RAM is not going to slow down things unless you
are eating more memory than you have RAM, then you're swapping (read:
using disk as live memory), this is easy to determine. Doubling the RAM
only (mostly) speeds up by avoiding swapping, rarely a perceptible effet
if not swapping. What's the amount of free swap (`free` command, line
Swap, row free), and total memory (`free`, line Mem, raw total).
Bad memory modules could slow things down, but would certainly cause
crashes. Too few memory would cause swapping then kernel killing big
apps.

Also: bad sectors on disk may cause slowness or hangs.

Other hardware/kernel-related issues will be harder to find.

Are you able to run hardware diagnostics/tests on this system? (various
brands provide such tools available at boot time)

Regards,

--
wwp
https://useplaintext.email/