Re: Fresh install of Fedora 30 boots to flashing underscore

On 7/2/19 3:06 AM, Tim via users wrote:
On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 01:42 -0400, Steven Ulrick wrote:
But for some reason, the password that I used to install and upgrade
all that stuff stopped working. So, I booted the Live DVD again
(which takes a long time on my system), did the chroot thing again,
and changed the password. passwd did not complain, it indicated that
the two passwords I typed matched. Great, right? So I booted into
Fedora 30, did "ctrl | alt | f2" so I could log in as root and assign
myself a regular user password. Guess what? The root password that
passwd had just excepted no longer works.
Did you make your user an admin/system user account?  You'd be in the
wheel group, if you did.

If so, you ought to be able to change the root password from your own
login.

$ sudo su -

Enter your password as prompted, then you should get a root login.
Then you should be able to issue the passwd command as the root user.

Hello, Tim

Good idea, except during the installation of the Live image of Fedora Workstation 30 to my hard drive, I was never prompted to set up a user account for myself, or given the opportunity to set a password for root.

I did end up having a good result. I fixed the root password issue with the help of my brother, who helped me chroot to the Fedora 30 hard drive that would not boot and set the root password using the "passwd" command.

But that did not give me a bootable system. I watched the boot messages every time during my many failed attempts at fixing my inability to boot. There were messages that appeared to be dependency failures for the GNOME Display Manager. I thought, the DVD boots and runs fine, but when I install that DVD to the hard drive, it will not boot. So I thought that maybe for some reason, the entire system was not installed. One of the things that I couldn't do was connect to the internet. I tried what at least USED to be called runlevel 3, which should start networking/internet while in non-graphical mode, but that didn't work either.

But then I had a revelation! Perhaps while I was booted into the live DVD and chrooted into the hard drive that contained the installation of Fedora 30 that I was trying to fix I would have access to the internet, and anything I attempted to install (such as things that seemed Gnome Display Manager related) would be installed on the intended hard drive, instead of making temporary changes to the Live session. It worked like a charm! I could boot the system to a graphical login screen, but I couldn't log in, because I couldn't get my password changes to stick across reboots. Can't remember how I thought of this, but I ended up letting SELinux do it's "autorelabeling" stuff. Came back the next morning and all password changes I made stuck. I could then boot into Fedora 30, log in as myself, or su into root using the appropriate passwords!

So, all is well now, except I am having issues installing Gallery3 on my webserver (run on the same system I am currently referring to.)

Wouldn't mind knowing why Fedora 30 acted like it was not completely installed when I chose "Install to hard drive" Oh, almost forgot. I tried a second "Install to hard drive" from the Live DVD of Fedora 30 Workstation, and it APPEARED to succeed (like the first time) but failed to boot for the exact same reasons...

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Steven P. Ulrick