Re: Fresh install of Fedora 30 boots to flashing underscore

OK, here is where things stand now. I discovered that when I had
mounted my Fedora 30 root partition using chroot that since I was
still booted into the Live DVD, I was connected to the internet.
Earlier tonight, when I tried to dnf install some things directly in
the Live DVD, I had to erase Firefox to make room! So, I installed
what appeared to be some appropriate GNOME related RPM's, as well as
KDE, which I will end up running anyway. I also did a full dnf
upgrade, pulling in over 1gig of data. Also, the percentage used in
the chroot mount point kept going up while I was doing all this. The
result? My Fedora 30 system is now fully bootable! I just installed
some stuff, then installed all the available updates.
But for some reason, the password that I used to install and upgrade
all that stuff stopped working. So, I booted the Live DVD again (which
takes a long time on my system), did the chroot thing again, and
changed the password. passwd did not complain, it indicated that the
two passwords I typed matched. Great, right? So I booted into Fedora
30, did "ctrl | alt | f2" so I could log in as root and assign myself
a regular user password. Guess what? The root password that passwd had
just excepted no longer works. I had an issue a LONG time ago with my
password. Somehow the keymap got messed up, and when I typed an "x", a
"y" was displayed on the screen. So typed the password in the username
prompt, just to see if the correct letters/numbers were being output.
They were.

Now passwd gives me errors even when I know that I typed the same
password twice.

So, I have a fully updated, perfectly bootable Fedora 30 system with
both KDE and Gnome installed. But I can't log in because I can't set
passwords that actually work when I try to use them.

It might be said that I should do all this in rescue mode, since that
loads up a lot faster, and I can actually boot into it now. The
problem with that is that none of the keys that press while in rescue
mode display on the screen. So, I'll type "passwd" being really
careful, because I can't see what I am typing. Then I type one
character, and passwd accuses me of trying to use a palindrome! By
definition, a palindrome can not be only one character!

I'm going to reboot into the Live DVD one more time and try again,
before I have to give up for the night.

Thank you for you help & your patience, progress has been made!
Steven P. Ulrick