Re: Using bind for a local caching name server, is this configuration correct?

On 7/1/19 6:41 PM, stan via users wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 10:25:21 +0930
Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been using (an old version of) BIND for years, because my ISP's
have had slow, failing, and censoring DNS servers.

[snipped lots of good info]

I think the failure might have something to do with NetworkManager.  It
seems that it has no way to set it to use a local bind / named
instance as its nameserver. It always uses DNS servers set by the
router (etc/resolv.conf), or systemd-resolved, or dnsmasq.

I am trying a file dns.conf added to /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d with
[dns]
dns=none
rc-manager=unmanaged

to see if I can get NetworkManager leave dns alone so queries will use
named, instead of trying to manage dns itself.

dnsmasq also provides a minimal caching dns server, but I can't see a
way to tell it to use the local named caching dns server instead of
going to dns servers on the web for forwarding.  Perhaps I will be
forced to use it if I can't get NetworkManager to use the local dns
server.

I must be missing something.  I can't believe there is no way that
NetworkManager can be set to use a local bind based dns server.

I use three dns servers on one host: an authority, a caching server, then dnsmasq in front of all that to return a localhost address for ad servers I want to block (they all hit a web server that returns status 200 content-length 0).

Here is my very limited dnsmasq.conf:

#no local IPs
except-interface=lo

# don't reference /etc/hosts
no-hosts

# use eth0
interface=eth0

# you need this when running another nameserver on the same machine
bind-interfaces

# let dnsmasq front run
listen-address=10.2.0.20  # all other hosts have this IP in resolv.conf

#upstream server (dnscache)
server=127.0.1.53         # only dnsmasq accesses my caching server

#location of sites to be proxied
conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.d/  # where my file of ad servers lives

I don't use NetworkManager. I have too many nics and bridges and NM spends all its time taking my interfaces up and down and assigning them dhcp addresses, rendering my network more or less unusable. Using dnsmasq to tie the various pieces together works very well, reliably.

:m