Re: Using bind for a local caching name server, is this configuration correct?

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 at 00:19, Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tim:
>> It wouldn't be impossible for a modem/router to intercept DNS
>> queries and put them through their own server.

Stan:
> I suspect that is what the router is doing.  Or the ISP upstream is
> monitoring traffic, and blocking inbound port 53.

An option is for you to find an alternative public DNS server that
listens on more than just port 53, and find one that you're not blocked
accessing.  Your own DNS server could be configured to forward external
queries on that port, or you could use iptables rules.

e.g. OpenDNS will also respond to port 5353

While service providers may think they're doing something of benefit by
buggering with your network traffic, I've never found that to be the
case.  Censorship can obliterate wide areas of the net, not just one
small problem.  Trying to provide helpful alternatives instead of just
failing with the correct error message causes its own set of problems.
And many of these things are just so damn slow it's not funny.

The benefit service providers claim to provide to users is blocking
unsafe URL's but they may care more about benefits (e.g., low or
negative cost  access to the URL filtering service) they get by allowing
3rd party access to internet usage details.  The slow response is probably
due to the time it takes to transfer those details to a remote database, and
those "helpful" alternatives are probably most helpful to the filtering service,
e.g., payments for hits on alternative URL's.

--
George N. White III