Re: Using bind for a local caching name server, is this configuration correct?

Tim:
>> This will query specific servers:
>> dig example.com @1.1.1.1

stan:
> When the first failed, skipped this.

In what way did it fail?  Using the dig tool will directly query DNS
servers.  So a test of "dig example.com @8.8.8.8", for example, will
see if you can access an external DNS server.  This test won't make use
of any of your DNS servers, nor your ISPs, it'll directly query the DNS
server at:  8.8.8.8

If that kind of thing fails, then you won't be able to run your own DNS
server, there's something blocking necessary network traffic.

It's not unusual for an ISP to block access to other servers, forcing
all queries through their own.  That way they can control you.

It wouldn't be impossible for a modem/router to intercept DNS queries
and put them through their own server.  That way your LAN would just
work, even if not properly configured.  But, you would get name
resolution answers, not broken service.  It acts like a transparent
proxy.

> I am seeing entries like this in the logs when the named dns server
> is running and I try to resolve a name.  1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 are the
> forwarding dns servers.
>
> Jul 03 08:40:24 localhost.Home named[11573]: timed out resolving
> 'localhost.Home.localhost.Home/A/IN': 1.1.1.1#53
> Jul 03 08:40:23 localhost.Home named[11573]: timed out resolving
> 'localhost.Home.localhost.Home/A/IN': 9.9.9.9#53

That's an odd hostname.  Traditionally 127.0.0.1 resolved to just
"localhost", and (doing things its own way) Linux liked to add in an
additional "localhost.localdomain" (which seemed to be more about
having at least one dot in a faked fully-qualified domain name, than
any other reason).

If I recall correctly, the .home suffix is used by things using link-
local automatic IP addressing.  Where, in the absence of something
(like a DHCP server) giving it an address, devices assign themselves
their own IPs by randomly picking a 168.254.x.y address, and seeing if
nothing else is apparently using it on the LAN (if something responds,
it tries another random IP address).  Thereafter, networking with other
things on your LAN works by just putting out feelers, and seeing what
responds (want to connect to <myothermachine> asks anything on the LAN
to respond, rather than DNS resolving name to IP and trying that IP).

Link-local addresses are not resolved by traditional DNS servers, on
port 53.  It uses multicast DNS (mdns) on a different port, such as
5353.  It runs independently, and is not co-operative with traditional
DNS.

> And these, that look like ipv6 addresses, though I have it disabled.

If your network/ISP doesn't support IPv6, then disable settings in your
servers so they don't try to use it.  It can really be a bottleneck if
something thinks it can use IPv6, but the network doesn't support it.
There's these long delays while it attempts.

What assigns your machines their LAN IP addresses?  A DHCP server in
your router, in a server PC, nothing?  Do you manually set IPs?

What IP range does your LAN use?  192.168.x.y  10.x.y.z  168.254.x.y