Re: Using bind for a local caching name server, is this configuration correct?

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 11:16:00 +0930
Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In what way did it fail?  Using the dig tool will directly query DNS
> servers.  So a test of "dig example.com @8.8.8.8", for example, will
> see if you can access an external DNS server.  This test won't make
> use of any of your DNS servers, nor your ISPs, it'll directly query
> the DNS server at:  8.8.8.8

$ dig example.com @1.1.1.1

; <<>> DiG 9.11.8-RedHat-9.11.8-1.fc31 <<>> example.com @1.1.1.1
;; global options: +cmd

> If that kind of thing fails, then you won't be able to run your own
> DNS server, there's something blocking necessary network traffic.

That explains the bind / named failure I'm seeing.

> It's not unusual for an ISP to block access to other servers, forcing
> all queries through their own.  That way they can control you.

Yeah, businesses seem to like that.

> It wouldn't be impossible for a modem/router to intercept DNS queries
> and put them through their own server.  That way your LAN would just
> work, even if not properly configured.  But, you would get name
> resolution answers, not broken service.  It acts like a transparent
> proxy.

I suspect that is what the router is doing.  Or the ISP upstream is
monitoring traffic, and blocking inbound port 53.

> That's an odd hostname.  Traditionally 127.0.0.1 resolved to just
> "localhost", and (doing things its own way) Linux liked to add in an
> additional "localhost.localdomain" (which seemed to be more about
> having at least one dot in a faked fully-qualified domain name, than
> any other reason).

I wonder if my thrashing around on this issue did something that is
somehow causing the change.  I don't recall seeing it before.

Jul 03 08:18:22 localhost.Home systemd-hostnamed[858]: Changed host name to 'localhost.Home'
Jul 03 08:18:22 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Started Hostname Service.
Jul 03 08:18:21 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[20472]: <info>  [1562167101.6542] policy: set-hostname: set hostname to 'localhost.Home' (from address lookup)

Definitely something I did.  I should probably figure out what I did
and reverse it in case there are things that expect localdomain instead
of Home.

> If I recall correctly, the .home suffix is used by things using link-
> local automatic IP addressing.  Where, in the absence of something
> (like a DHCP server) giving it an address, devices assign themselves
> their own IPs by randomly picking a 168.254.x.y address, and seeing if
> nothing else is apparently using it on the LAN (if something responds,
> it tries another random IP address).  Thereafter, networking with
> other things on your LAN works by just putting out feelers, and
> seeing what responds (want to connect to <myothermachine> asks
> anything on the LAN to respond, rather than DNS resolving name to IP
> and trying that IP).
>
> Link-local addresses are not resolved by traditional DNS servers, on
> port 53.  It uses multicast DNS (mdns) on a different port, such as
> 5353.  It runs independently, and is not co-operative with traditional
> DNS.

That doesn't sound like my system, since I get assigned a dhcp address
by the router.

> If your network/ISP doesn't support IPv6, then disable settings in
> your servers so they don't try to use it.  It can really be a
> bottleneck if something thinks it can use IPv6, but the network
> doesn't support it. There's these long delays while it attempts.

It doesn't support IPv6.  But given the dig failure above, I probably
won't be running a server.  I have it disabled in the router, and in
the connection (well, ignore).

> What assigns your machines their LAN IP addresses?  A DHCP server in
> your router, in a server PC, nothing?  Do you manually set IPs?

DHCP in the router.

> What IP range does your LAN use?  192.168.x.y  10.x.y.z  168.254.x.y

I'm in the 192.168.x.y category.