Re: Modem/Router/Router -

Allegedly, on or about 9 May 2019, Bob Goodwin sent:
> Everything I have read says Viasat's equipment must be used. ... It
> also contains a voip adapter for the telephone, before this "system
> upgrade" two months ago that was separate.

If it's a standard VOIP thing, then you probably can continue to use
separate VOIP adaptors.  If your phone plugged directly into their all-
in-one box, and/or requires special configuration by the service
provider, then I'd say no.

> I will attach a sketch of what I have to work with now. I did
> determine that their router/modem could be put into a bridged
> mode but I could not get an internet connection with it and after a
> visit from their "technician" it was decided I could not use that
> mode?

In bridged mode, the modem is purely a modem.  The first thing it
connects to on your system (e.g. your own router) is what the ISP sees
as the first thing on the network.  In that your case, your ISP might
need to authenticate your router (normally they'd *allow* their own
equipment).  But some ISPs don't disallow customer equipment, anything
you plug into the socket "just works."  If you can plug a computer
straight into their modem, and if that works, then plugging it into
your router ought to work.

> What I need most now is a good instruction for setting up the NAT
> stuff with my LAN ip changed to 192.168.0.xx which I think will make
> it easier for me to follow.

Your choice of LAN IPs (all on the same subnet) is probably why things
didn't work, before.

It shouldn't require anything special to set up NAT.  It's just going
to be the same kind of thing as the first time you set up your LAN.
Set up your router to use the subnet that you want to use, let it
configure the equipment you haven't manually configured.  Then on the
rest of your gear that you need to manually configure, set them to use
new IPs in your new subnet range.  Your router would be already doing
NAT all by itself, anyway.

Forgetting your internet service, for the time being.  Just connect
your LAN equipment to your router, and get that all talking to each
other on your new IP subnet.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Television should really come with an intelligence knob.  I've tried
adjusting the brightness, but it didn't help.