Re: preferred desktop environment for MS Surface Pro 3

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 11:48:55 -0300 "George N. White III" <gnwiii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 10:38, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to install Fedora on my MS Surface Pro 3. I do not have much
> > experience with tablets so I was wondering which DE or spin I should put on
> > it. I guess I would like the keyboard to change when the Surface changes
> > from PC mode to tablet mode and vice-versa if possible. I would also be
> > able to write on it and create documents in pdf, etc for notes.
> >
> > Am I better off using KDE or LXQt or Gnome? If the latter, is it
> > worthwhile to install the Design Suite spin. I must say that I am not very
> > keen on bloated software but I am open to it. I myself run a non-DE
> > (openbox) environment on my computers and have never gone beyond trying a
> > DE and giving up on it because it is noticeably a bit more sluggish.
> > However, I do recognize that a tablet mode is different and perhaps better
> > handled with a DE. So, I am open to all suggestions and also practical tips.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance and best wishes,
> > Ranjan
> >

> There are virtual keyboard options such as florence that aren't tied to a
> DE.  See http://florence.sourceforge.net/english/alternatives.html for
> comparisons with other
> virtual keyboards.

Thanks for this. I installed F28+design suite with Gnome for now and found that GOK (also in your reference) works fine.

Btw, one thing that does not seem to work is to switch the tablet to portait mode when it is held long edge on the side. Is it possible to get this to work. Let me know if my question is not clear.

Otherwise, at first impressions, things work fine (though I have not tried everything yet).

Many thanks again and best wishes,
Ranjan