Firewall Configuration Details

Hi,

    Is there any step-by-step documentation anywhere on setting up a linux firewall from scratch that is designed for someone who has never even looked at what is required for this before?

    Is there any recommended gui packages that simplify the setting up/ongoing configuration of the firewall?

    Is there a gui interface to the firewall that will monitor outgoing/incoming transactions and prompt for whether or not they should be allowed or denied?

    The reason for these questions is I replaced my Linksys wireless router with a Dlink wireless router over the weekend (with the issues I had I also replace my Dlink DWA-192 adapter with a Netgear A7000, but like the DWA device the Netgear device is not supported under Linux so I going to have to search for drivers for that now too) and under Windows 10, all applications and games (standalone games, games run from their own launcher and games run under steam) were prevented from Accessing the internet, but a browser like Chrome was able to still access the internet. Under Fedora I had no issues at all and games run through steam ran quite happily, albeit without sound.

    After a lot of playing around with changing wireless adapters and changing router configuration, to do things like turn off the router's firewall, opening ports in the router used by the games I play, setting up port forwarding, putting my pc outside of the router's firewall by putting it in the DMZ, all to no avail, I eventually found through trial and error that the issue was a setting I had active in the third party firewall I use in Windows, which was to activate 'ARP Spoofing Checking'. The only way I could access the internet was to turn this option off.

    With windows have this issue caused by the firewall but linux not having the issue presumably means that either the windows firewall is more restrictive than Linux, or, I don't have the linux firewall configured properly, hence the questions above.

    The firewall I use under windows, and the native windows firewall, both have the ability to prompt for allowing or disallowing access requests not covered by explicit rules, and provide the ability to generate permanent rules depending on the answer, hence the question above of whether the same functionality exists under Linux?

    Thanks in advance for any help provided.

regards,

Steve