Re: VDQ "dm"

On 06/28/2018 09:34 AM, Beartooth wrote:

> 	This has to be a Very Dumb Question, but what is the difference
> between a "display manager" and a "desktop manager"?

It is confusing. The easiest way to think of it is the display manager
(called the "DM") is what is presented to you after the system boots up
and before your desktop is displayed. Typical DMs are LightDM, LXDM and
GDM.

One of the display manager's jobs is to present the "greeter", which is
the graphical login screen you use to authenticate to the system. Once
you log in, the DM brings up your desired desktop (e.g. Xfce, Mate,
Gnome, etc.).

> 	I'm trying to run MATE on F28, and succeeding to the extent that
> I do have a more or less MATE-like GUI, but only by grace of still having
> an F26 rescue kernel. (Two PCs without that kernel are unable to give any
> GUI at all. All I can do is keep a console open and run dnf upgrade once
> or twice a day, using an F28 rescue kernel, with reboots whenever any
> kernel is mentioned.) And this GUI does not afford me the panel applets I
> use most.

Mate gets used a LOT on F28, and I've not heard of a lot of problems
with it. If it only runs using an F26 rescue kernel, then you have
other issues, typically with the display driver. It would be helpful
if we had a hardware list (run "lspci" as root) and whether you're
running X11 or Wayland as your display server (this is NOT the same as
your desktop manager). To find that out, try "echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE"
as the user you log into the desktop. Also, I'm assuming this system
has been upgraded from F26 to F28. If that's the case, did you just
skip over F27 or did you do F26->F27->F28?

> 	In quest of better, I've been experimenting with various apps
> called *dm. Most do better than lightdm (which I started with), but not
> yet a whole lot better.

Any of the DMs should let you use Mate. Let's find out why your system
is misbehaving with anything other than an F26 kernel. That's the first
thing to sort out.

> 	Some will say I oughtn't to run Fedora at all, but at this point
> my accumulated ignorance has reached a level where any other distro would
> tie me up in even more knots.

Let's get this sorted out. My first guess is that something's wrong with
the way the system upgraded.