Re: centos7 -- webapp setup

Rick,

I have used Cent OS and Scientific Linux for more years
than I can remember.   I do know how it works.  Too
well.  If you don't pay for it, they don't fix it.  This is
the way their open source model works.  Same with Code
Weavers and Wine.  (I don't use Wine.  I use Wine Staging,
which comes with Fedora. Tons bugs fixed.)

Yes, Osmo was the problem.  I made that very clear. Osmo
jumped on the problem and fixed it.  But could do nothing for me
as RHEL and Clones uses out dated, bug riddled version
of software that Osmo need to run properly.

Yes Fedora has its issues.  In my experience 1/50'th of RHEL.
And the turn around time for Fedora to fix bugs is a few
months.  RHEL's turn around time is 7 years (no fooling!)
to NEVER.  I have posted a good 50 bugs over the years.
They don't care.

Fedora, unlike RHEL and friends, works on their bugs and
fixs them.   RHEL usually can not, even if they want to,
which they usually do not.

KVM is sweet running on Fedora, but a miserable bug riddled dog
on RHEL and friends, as even Red Hat is too out of date to
run their current versions.

My experience is that Fedora has 1/50 the issues that RHEL does.
If yo do not keep after your bugs, RHEL is what happens to you.
I almost went INSANE !!!

Now how to use RHEL and Clones.

1) find a piece of old software that will never
   need an update.  New software won run on it.

2) find a software vendor that SPECIFICALLY develops
   for RHEL

3) buy an old motherboard, as new ones are not supported.
   Don't expect new motherboard performance.

4) set and forget.  (You can do this with any OS by
   turning off the updates.)

Basically, you use RHEL as an appliance.  Once it
is cooked, do expect to season it.

If you want Kaisen (constant improvement), Fedora
is your man.  If you want a set and forget appliance,
consider RHEL.

Fedora is a shining example of Kaisen.  RHEL is
a miserable example of what happens when you don't
keep after your stuff.

Both have their uses.

By the way, my new motherboard, Supermicro X11SAE-M won't
boot REHL and clones properly.  And it only cost me over
2000.00 U$D in free warranty work to figure it out.  RHEL
couldn't give a poop about the bug report.  Ya, they told
me they did not have access to the hardware.  I told them
the phone number to call at Supermicro to get all the free
hardware they needed (Supermicro supports vendors like Red Hat)
and they still wouldn't fix it.  (Is okay, Fedora run beautifully
on the server.)  Funny, but not so much, RHEL and clones works
fine off a Live USB on the X11SAE-M, which mean a timing issue.
(Yes I documented it out the nose.)  If you were to say I
was "angry" over the whole issue, "angry" does not even begin to
describe it.

Yup.  I know how the system works.

And all I have to say about RHEL and clones is, been there,
done that, never want to do it again.  I TOOK IT IN THE SHORTS.

-T

You should have seen the way Fedora fix the bugs in saned
for me.  Sane is now a thing of beauty.  Only took a
couple of months.  Too bad if you want to use a scanner
in RHEL.