Re: centos7 -- webapp setup

On 06/27/2018 11:19 AM, bruce wrote:
Also, given that centos is behind in terms of php/python/etc..  are
there "better" OS/platforms to use?

Hi Bruce,

Oh good golly!  CentOS (RHEL) is a MISERABLE bug riddled OS.
I used  it for years and almost went INSANE.  Simply put, RHEL is
an Anti-Kaisen (Kaisen = Constant Improvement) OS.  They
take a snapshot of a defunct versions of Fedora and freeze it
in place.  The last straw was when RHEL ate my business
contacts in Osmo every time I shut down.  Mind you Osmo
has this issue fixed but could do nothing for me as
RHEL is wildly out of date.  That and it would not
run on modern motherboards.

Keep in mind the following rule.  Every OS is "stable"
*** if *** it runs the programs you want to use properly.
And you can freeze ANY OS by turning off the updates
(like RHEL does), even buggy M$ Windows (Shut Up 10).

So where to turn?  I have converted all of my computer
and all of my computers to Fedora (all on 28 now).
I adore Fedora.  They actually fix things and keep
after bugs and problems.  In my experience, because
of such, Fedora is about 50 times (not exaggerating)
more stable that freeze-all-the-bugs-in-place RHEL.

Don't use RHEL or clones (CentOS), if you want things
to be kept after.

Oh and you will notice that your USB 2 is 4 to 5 times faster
and USB pass through actually works on qemu-kvm under Fedora
that RHEL.  And you can actually use it on a modern motherboard!

So, pick which OS has the support you are after.

After converting to Fedora, I had a case of the out-right-laughter
over being so tickled over all the hundreds of bugs that were fixed.
VLC even worked right!

And the irony did not miss me that kvm is a Red Hat project
and they can't run their fixes and upgrades on RHEL either.
qemu-kvm is sweet under Fedora, but a bug riddled mess under RHEL.

Wine Staging worked sweet under Fedora too.

-T