Re: cpupower

Allegedly, on or about 25 June 2018, Howard Howell sent:
> This typically requires more than just vacuuming the outside.
> Typically you have to remove the heatsink and fan, and use a brush or
> q-tips to ferret out the various dustbunnies in the nooks and
> crannies that are near the CPU.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that the heatsink must be unclogged.  They
don't radiate heat away effectively if air can't readily flow over the
fins.

Cans of compressed air, with a straw on the nozzle, can be useful for
clearing the cruft out of heatsink fins.  Do it outdoors, the mess goes
everywhere (including your eyes and lungs).

Don't use an air compressor, the blast is strong enough to do physical
damage, as well as with static electricity.

> Most heatsinks have retainers that hook down to the socket.  look
> carefully at how the hooks engage and look for a lever to release
> them. Open ONLY that lever.  Do not open the wire lever under the
> socket, it holds the cpu to the socket.

You need to be careful removing heatsinks, some of the assemblies don't
want to come apart without breaking.  Likewise, when replacing
assemblies, they need to firmly attach.  If they won't, you're better
off to buy a new assembly.  Sometimes you find that the fan's bearings
are wearing out, or clogging up, and you want to replace the fan.

I've grown to hate those plasticky push down and click heatsink things.
 There's some with a hook and lever which are better, but obviously can
only attach to suitable motherboards / CPU sockets.  The bolt down Mac
ones seem a much more robust way of doing things, and necessary with
the really huge heatsinks they were using.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Linux servers are always being dæmonised...