Re: Data migration for replacing HDD with SSD - suggestions?

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 06:23:13 -0500
Temlakos <temlakos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As I thought. Now may I also assume that you use the chown command to
> re-create the ownership and group-membership structure of each
> specific user directory in the new drive? And also use chmod to
> re-create the permissions structure? I'm familiar enough with chown
> and chmod. I've used them often enough in my days as a volunteer
> developer on other sites that use UNIX.

Yep.

> In any event, let me guess: whatever you create and set in the new
> drive, no re-installation will ever alter. Thereafter you remove any
> directories in /home/user (where /user/ is the name of a user
> account) and re-establish the links, right?

Yep.

> I should have figured one thing: I do this for everything that I used
> to copy over from one computer to the next when I would break in a
> new(er) computer with (of necessity) a fresh (first!) installation of
> Fedora. That included all the named directories, any other top-level
> directories I created, and /home/user/.thunderbird in every account
> that used Thunderbird regularly. (Same with Kmail, for any KDE user
> who uses the "native" browser and e-mail client.)

As Tim points out, this can cause problems if configuration options
have changed.  Better to just let the newer version create its own
config, try the app, and if it works the way you want, leave it the way
it is.  If it doesn't work the way you want, do a diff with the old
config to see what has changed, and make changes in the new config
based on those.