Re: Data migration for replacing HDD with SSD - suggestions?

On 12/16/2017 12:59 PM, stan wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 10:13:55 -0500
fred roller <fredroller66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have done this type of set up on my systems before so what its
worth I will share how I installed and where applicable, why.
Good read.  I'll keep it around for future reference.

| 5. In general, should I place a partition for anything other
than /home on the 1 TB SSD?
This will explain how/why I put /home on the 120 [smaller drive].
Through the use of hard/soft links to folders in /Crypt I connected
the data files I wanted to preserve on /Crypt.  This use of links
kept data writing to /Crypt and in so doing kept it separate from the
OS drive.  So /home/user1/Documents
-->/Crypt/user1/Documents, /home/user1/Pictures
--> /Crypt/user1/Pictures, etc. etc.  This link was invisible to the
user.  The data files from software likewise can be
linked, /home/user1/.thunderbird --> /Crypt/user1/.thunderbird; which
was great for recovering the mail client and other softeware.  This
set-up was born of having put /home on /Crypt at first but if you
migrated to a new distro or recovered from failure you tended to
inherit artifacts which the new system choked on. This process proved
to be a cleaner foundation from which to recover/reinstall.  One had
only reinstall a clean OS on the 120 then re-link, the data was never
touched during the installation process. Proved so effective that I
preferred do clean installs from OS iteration to the next as opposed
to upgrading.  There are some pros/cons to soft/hard links so
research for the trade-offs.
Mostly I replied because I wanted to give a thumbs up to doing things
this way. I also do this, and it makes everything so much easier, and
safer, and convenient.

Stan:

How exactly do you manage mounting the larger drive under a different name (whether /crypt or some other name) and setting up/maintaining the link structure? Seems to me you have to rebuild it every time you (a) reinstall the OS or (b) add or remove users. It also seems to me that mounting the larger drive as /home accomplishes the same goal. Why doesn't it?

Temlakos