Re: Data migration for replacing HDD with SSD - suggestions?

Allegedly, on or about 17 December 2017, Temlakos sent:
> I need to set up links to:
> 1. All folders that I want to hold on the data drive, including
> configuration files that I want to preserve from one iteration to the
> next--like .thunderbird, .firefox, .chrome, .adobe, and so on. These
> would be the top-level folders, the ones in the home directory, and
> not the subfolders.

Those kind of things are the ones that can cause you grief, and web
browsers seem to be the worst.  Settings and plugins for one version of
a program change from the next.  Blindly applying old ones often
creates odd behaviour.  You can be better to use the application to
import older settings.  Then it's (probably) more likely to *convert*
old settings into newer ones.

Though I tend to just re-configure the software, rather than import old
data.  I find it much less painful.

Long ago I changed to using a local IMAP server for mail, so mail
programs only need to be reconfigured for logins, the mail is on my
server.  Else mail programs would be the most hideous thing to try and
keep going over different installs.

> 2. Any file that, for whatever reason, is sitting in my home
> directory and that I haven't made up my mind to place into a folder,
> like Downloads or Pictures or Documents--whatever. (This might
> include password files, if I can get the old Password Manager program
> reinstalled. I have an rpm for that, but I don't know whether that
> would install or not.)
> And I must do that for every user account.

More or less.  Then try to get out of the habit of just dumping stuff
into your homespace root folder.

I had a couple of ways of dealing with all of this.  I changed the
defaults from ~/documents, ~/videos, et cetera, to suit my own system.
If you modify what's in /etc/skel you can have the system automatically
set up new users with a customised set of directories.  As a quick
example, I have directories like this:

~/local/documents
~/local/downloads
~/local/sort-out-later
~/local/videos

For things I'll quickly dump onto the local hard drive and probably not
keep.  That was done by creating a "local" folder inside /etc/skel, and
the other folders inside the local one.

And directories that are on the network, like this:

~/nas/documents
~/nas/downloads
~/nas/sort-out-later
~/nas/videos

Again, if you keep whatever keyword consistent where I wrote "nas," you
can put that inside /etc/skel, too.

That's where I'll store anything worth keeping.

Where "nas" is a symlink to mount point to my own space on the network
drive (ln -s /nas/home/tim /home/tim/nas), and those other directories
are simply my directories within it (no symlink commands needed).

This scheme works whether I'm symlinking to a NAS, or another drive in
the box, just change the path in the link to suit.

> Question: would you preserve all hidden application configuration
> files on the separate drive? Or do some things deserve to reside on
> the system drive and get overwritten with every clean install?

I'd let configurations go in their default place, and have them new for
every install.

Regarding storing configurations abnormally, it's worth noting that if
your other drive is a NAS, it needs to be up and running before logging
in.  Otherwise, your programs are going to start as if from new, and
write new configuration.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.13.16-202.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 30 15:39:32 UTC 2017 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

- And how would you describe Windows?
- One man's trash is another man's treasure...