Re: Possible to "dnf upgrade" in a Fedora Gnome without the need to reboot?

Allegedly, on or about 8 September 2017, Ed Greshko sent:
> GNOME is trying to make updates more "user friendly" by doing them
> during the reboot phase.  If you're adverse to doing reboots then you
> need to understand the risks, or problems, with doing things without
> rebooting.
>
> You are sure to find plenty of people that will object to the
> "Windows" philosophy that a reboot is required after every update.

I certainly do, especially considering that rebooting has rarely been
necessary after updates (beyond kernel updates), ever since I started
using Linux (before Fedora existed).  It just smacks of half-arsed
programming to suffer this retrograde behaviour.

The Windows-methodology of rebooting after/while updating is a major
pain in the arse, for many reasons.  It means you can't update while
using your computer, because it's going to interrupt what you actually
want to do.

It's a major timewaster.  You end up having to either do updates before
*you* start doing things with your computer, delaying what you actually
wanted to do, often by extraordinary amounts of time (by way of
horrible example - with Windows Vista, I once watched the entire movie
of Dr Zhivago during one of those update, and that's a bloody long
film).  Or, you wait until you've finished what you wanted to do, then
let it do updates when you really wanted to shutdown and do something
else.  You often have to babysit, or waste even more time debugging
update failures.  That, or leave it running overnight.  Only to find
that when you want to use the computer, next time, you have to go
through that debugging procedure.

With the way Linux is getting worse and worse about this kind of thing,
I wonder if we're getting more and more programmers coming over from
the Windows world, where they just don't understand what's wrong with
that philosophy of computing.  That, or it's sabotage.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.12.8-300.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 17 15:30:20 UTC 2017 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

You can't have equality AND special treatment.