Re: f24 boot fails; need help.

On Thu, 11 May 2017 15:36:07 -0700
Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/11/2017 01:34 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> > On 05/11/2017 01:21 PM, Bill Mattison wrote:
> >> This is an f24 system.  I just (about 1pm US mountain time)
> >> completed my weekly "dnf upgrade", and I saw no hint of failure or
> >> trouble.  But when I shut down the system, and then powered back
> >> up, the boot failed.  The grub menu looked ok.  The blue-and-white
> >> bar at the bottom of the boot screen did go most of the way
> >> normally.  But it never got to the log in screen.  There was some
> >> text being displayed, but I have no way of capturing it, and I
> >> don't remember what it said.
> > Try choosing one of the other kernel versions from the boot menu
> > and see if that makes a difference.  Try pressing the ESC key as
> > soon as you see the logo filling up, that will give you some more
> > information about the booting process.  If you edit the boot entry,
> > you could remove the "rhgb" and "quiet" options from the kernel
> > command line.  That will give you even more info about the boot
> > process.  Let us know what you find out from these steps.
> >
> > If there is text on the screen that you don't understand, you could
> > try taking a picture of it and posting it somewhere.
>
> If you just did a big upgrade (particularly kernels and you use some
> akmod stuff), there may be a delay towards the end of the "blue line"
> finishing filling or the bubble filling up all the way. There may be
> even more of a delay between those completing and the actual login
> prompt.
>
> If you have a disk activity LED, watch it...it may be on solid or
> flickering really fast. That's indicative of the akmods being built
> and loaded. I notice this a lot if I use a nVidia blobs for my video
> cards and/or having the system build rescue initrds.
>
> If the LED is off and you still don't get a login prompt, try
> "CTRL-ALT-F1" (or "CTRL-ALT-<F3 through F6>"--try them all) to get a
> raw console and see if you can log in there. If you can, have a look
> at the "/var/log/boot.log" file. You should get an indication as to
> what the issue is.

If using "Ctrl-Alt-F[3-6] doesn't get you a text console, you could try
appending a 3 to the kernel boot line to boot directly to multiuser
(text console) instead of the gui.

It is surprising that an update would cause this problem in F24, since
it is in maintenance mode, and should be receiving only security
updates.  If you can get to a console, either by Rick's method or mine,
you could also look at /var/cache/dnf.rpm.log* to see which updates
occurred. Also look at journalctl -b, to see the boot messages from the
unsuccessful boots (probably the same as /var/log/boot.log).

When you get the prompt at the failed boot, you are in a dracut shell.
I think if you type
ls /usr/bin/
you can see the commands available to you in that shell.  You might be
able to examine the files from that shell.  It's been a long time since
I experienced that, so I can't remember the commands.  If less is
there, you can look at files with that.  I think vi is there, but
unless you are used to modal editors, it is confusing to use.