Re: Can a second F25 be installed on the same machine?

On 01/01/2017 16:30, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sun, 2017-01-01 at 16:15 +0100, Mayavimmer wrote:
>>> That's an irrational comment.
>>
>> No, that's a question. I am new to the list and would like to know if it
>> works efficiently or it is a wasteland of egos like most of the
>> internet. Can anyone express opinions here without being shot at? I sure
>> hope so. In my humble opinion the F25 installer is awkward. Can I say that?
>
> The list policies and archives are both online, so you can verify that
> moderators have a very light hand and only intervene if things
> degenerate to personal insults, which is rare. Plenty of us disagree
> about plenty of things, but you'll find that people are helpful when
> you give enough relevant information.

Thank you for answering, that is useful.

 Saying "the installer is awkward"
> is not information, it's an opinion and tells us nothing except that
> you had a problem with it.

In the context of this discussion it is a useful information to say "the
installer is awkward" because it shows where I am coming from. In the
last 24 hours, as you can read in the last few posts, I have discovered
(and it is still work in progress) that:

1. The installer takes 40 minutes before it can even get going on my
machine, due to improper fscking. A bug. In the same last 24 hour I
installed Mint and Rosalinux on the same machine in 15 min. total each.

2. If you include /boot inside LVM it works, but the second F25 install
erases all previous installs from boot menu.

3. If you already have one other LVM install with some free space, the
new one forcibly grabs that free space.

4. If empty space is too low, according to unfathomable and varying
criteria (at one point I had 35GB free) it fails.

5. All the above failures without so much as a: Sorry mate, I tried
making a 10GB root partition inside /dev/sdb17 but could not because
there are only 8GB available. Instead I get something like: Your
configuration does not work, bud.

6. Etc.

So when I try to address other issues it is more efficient and
descriptive to not repeat the whole thing every time and just summarize
with "the installer is awkward". It is the context which gives meaning
to the words.

 I also had a problem with it about 3 years
> ago but was very explicit about what was happening and no-one shot me
> down.

Thank you, that is very useful. It's the first admission that some
problems existed at least in the past.