Re: Can a second F25 be installed on the same machine?

On 01/01/2017 15:31, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 15:17:43 +0100, Mayavimmer wrote:
>
>>> Better not comment on it before you are familiar with it. ;-)
>>> If you've really entered the manual partitioning setup, you can choose
>>> individual partitions, their mount points and reformatting option
>>> yourself.
>>
>> I tried that many times. Sometimes it works sometimes not. Very frustrating.
>>
>> Why not comment? We should make light not darkness.
>
> Then how about explaining in detail what exactly you've tried?  If you
> tell the installer which existing partition or LV to use for the root fs,
> the installer doesn't override your decision. Unless you ask the installer
> to do automatic partitioning.

I have tried that very thing many times. It seems to fail in complicated
situations. And it never gives much of a diagnostic message beyond "your
configuration cannot be implemented" or some such. I'll try to repeat
those experiments and give details, starting tomorrow, if I can.

>> Is there a lot of censorship on this list too?
>
> That's an irrational comment.

No, that's a question. I am new to the list and would like to know if it
works efficiently or it is a wasteland of egos like most of the
internet. Can anyone express opinions here without being shot at? I sure
hope so. In my humble opinion the F25 installer is awkward. Can I say that?

>> Just preface everything with IMHO and
>> you're all set. IMHO.
>
> Don't let your frustration pile up so quickly. Try again, take notes
> of the steps and give a more detailed description of what you've tried.
> I do manual installs of Fedora alongside existing installations often,

I have also done many installs of other distros in mixed environments.

> and your description so far sounds like PEBKAC. ;-)

I might accept that as your own opinion if you knew the actual details,
which I have not given yet, because I would have to reinstall yet again.
But all you know is that I have tried manual installation and failed.
Thus your contribution so far sounds like an ad hominem. ;-)