Re: Most system update requires system reboot or session restart

On 29 December 2016 at 18:34, Javier Perez <pepebuho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I remember reading years back about solutions that allowed Kernel upgrade
> without reboot. Ksplice and Kpatch comes to mind. Whatever happened to them?

The facilities arrived in kernel 4.0 with Red Hat and Suse working
together with kpatch and kgraft standardising on common infrastructure
for it there (yes Oracle sat out the party with their ksplice).

With regards to Fedora specifically the kernel team commented on this
at the time.

What you need to be aware of is that live patching has many
limitations (eg can't change data structures but just how functions
operate) do it's targeted at very small and specific bug (security)
fixes and can't handle generic kernel upgrades.

This is especially important seeing as the Fedora kernel team will
rebase to new major revisions of the kernel within the Fedora
lifecycle rather than keeping to a specific revision with patches.

As a result it's not really worth the time for them to test the rather
extensive matrix that would be required should live patching the
kernel be supported.

Have a read of this:

http://jwboyer.livejournal.com/50232.html

And yes I know that Oracle permits non-commercial use of ksplice on
Fedora ... but given the hesitation by the Fedora kernel team on the
tech is it really worth it?

Of course this only covers the kernel and not any libraries like glibc
which really do need a full system reboot to avoid mixed libraries
hanging around.