Re: Most system update requires system reboot or session restart

On 12/20/2016 01:07 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/20/2016 12:26 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 11:15:19AM -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
>>> And some of us are using distributed computing, such as BOINC and
>>> don't like interrupting the work.
>>
>> Aren't these things set up to be resiliant to nodes going in and out?
>>

> Yes, of course they are.  However, every time you reboot they have to
> shut themselves down, wait until the system comes up and then restart.
> (Systemd treats them as services, so they're running before you get your
> logon screen.)  Many of us consider that a waste of time.  My system
> only gets rebooted for kernel upgrades and only shuts down for hardware
> issues or power outages.  Linux is designed to run 24/7 and I see no
> reason not to keep my desktop ready to use at a moment's notice.  YMMV,
> of course, and presumably does.

I think the point here is that you don't _have_ to _reboot_ except to
use a newer kernel. The actual programs (or services) can be restarted
as needed (or not). Now, some updates will force a service restart (if
the service is running) because of some dire security issue or
incompatibility between versions (e.g. some selinux updates, some
journald and systemd updates, etc.), but it's not that common and only
done if there are significant reasons to do a restart and the service
restart will be logged.

After a significant number of updates, it's probably be a good idea to
reboot just to ensure you are using the latest kernel and that any
services that were updated have been restarted. How and when that
reboot cycle happens is completely up to you. You can ignore it all
together if you wish.

Fedora is a very dynamic environment and updates happen a LOT. It is,
essentially, the development environment for RHEL. RHEL (and thus
CentOS) are more stable and have relatively fewer updates over any
given period of time--and then they're generally security related. For
stable, production platforms, use RHEL or CentOS, take the updates and
schedule reboots. With Fedora, you're on the "bleeding edge" and you
WILL, on occasion, get hurt (I guarantee it). It's sorta like Santa told
Ralphie in "A Christmas Story"...

	You'll shoot your eye out, kid!